Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Vag-com options

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Vag-com options

Well I plan on getting vag-com for my car and I'm curious about
whos got what and how it works for them.

I've seen Ross tech's website and it seems that the can-usb cable would be perfect for me.
Just curious about everyone elses experience with thier purchase.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Vag-com options

do you have a canadian TT?

I would go with the Key-USB.
Once you get it, You can use the Vag-Com software free... and the Lemmingwinks (Unisettings) software free too to moderately tune your ECU settings.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 AM
1st Gear

I have an american ride. Oh and I should edit my post I meant to say "key-usb" like your suggesting neurotic. I want to get it to see whats goin on with my car and I plan on using it to its full capabilities (you know lemmi...).

Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 AM
2nd Gear

[hr]

[hr]
Good deal. Lemmingwinks is actually the old version that goes with the Serial port cable.
the version for the USB cable is an identical program that does the same exact stuff... but it is called Unisettings.
Unisetting is very tempermental too. There is a very specific boot sequence you need to follow of the software will not work. Took me almost a week before I could get the cable to read my ECU in Unisettings.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

You see "what had happen was"
I bought the damn ebay cable and tried over and over with no results. So I said screw it I might as well buy whats worth the money.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear

I have an eBay cable that works great. It cost me $15 with shipping iirc. I have a laptop with a serial port though.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

Hey mysteryman did you get the alpha bid cable? I did followed all install instructions and still didn't work.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:15 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: themysteryman83

I have an eBay cable that works great. It cost me $15 with shipping iirc. I have a laptop with a serial port though.
Check it out... the ebay cables are hit or miss. You got a good one.... but just because you lucked out and got a hit, it'd be irresponsible to advertaise that all the ebay cables work based on that ONE cable.

A lot of it depends on where the ebay cable originated. If you've got someone on ebay that bought the cable from Ross-Tech or another reputable company and has now sold their Audi/VW vehicle and is just selling the cable on ebay... then it probably will work. However, if it's one of those many companies that make low quality replica products for really cheap and sell them on ebay because they do not have a physical retail store somewhere... then the cable will probably NOT work fully. A lot of times... they will reverse engineer the products and duplicate them to meet one of the capabilities of the cable. what this means... is that if they are trying to make a Vag-Com cable.... they may only reverse engineer the part that will make it work with Vag-Com... which will leave the cable still not compatible with other stuff.

If its a genuine cable that is being resold... I'd say buy it. If its a reverse engineered duplicate... I'd pass.

ebay cables are hit or miss. You got a hit. but everyone does not