Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

which upgrades to do in sequence?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 AM
1st Gear
Default which upgrades to do in sequence?

I have a 2004 225 6-speed Quatro with 28000 kms. , 225/40/18 stock wheels/tires
-I have upgraded the ECM with Unitronic Software ( now output is approx. 260 HP) and a Bailey Diverter Valve
-What would you recommend on the Intake Side ( want to keep engine and fuel system stock)?
-What would you recommend on the Exhaust side?
-What would you recommend for suspension upgrades?
-What would you recommend for brake wpgrades?
This car willbe tracked a little at 2-3 driving schools/year but will be a daily driver ( I live in the snow belt-Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for your input
Wayne

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: which upgrades to do in sequence?

your clutch & flywheel should be on that list, at least it is for me.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 PM
5th Gear

I'd wait on the clutch until you need to replace it. No sense in throwing away a good clutch. I have 141,000 miles in my car, and none of the extensive paperwork indicates a clutch ever being replaced. It's still going strong.

My plan is to attack the suspension/brakes on the car before anything else. I finally have all the components I want for the suspension, and will hopefully have my coilovers/sway bars installed in the coming week. This includes:

KMAC poly camber bushings rear (excellent buy)
KMAC poly strut tower camber/caster kit front (not too pleased with their adjustment sequence)
F/R Powerflex poly A-arm bushings (if nothing else, get these)
KW Variant 3 coilovers (separate rebound and compression adjustment) (to be installed)
Hotchkis H-Sport sway bars 25.5mm/19mm- tubular (light, but still as stiff/stiffer than some solid bars) and 3 position adjustable for fine tuning (to be installed)

The KW's are some of the best street/track use coilovers you can get, but that comes at a price (variant 3's are about $2000 for the kit). I wanted full adjustability though, so that really limited the field for me.

The bushing stuff I got from TTStuff, the coilovers I got barely used at a steal of a price, and the sway bars I got from Joe @ Axis (link in sig)

As for my exhaust.... I cut it off.

Well, just the muffler, with plans (Im lazy) to weld some 410 mandrel bent tubing to 'Y' back to the stock tips. Assuming you have a saw already, you won't find a cheaper mod. The car idles only a bit louder than stock, and cruises almost as quiet as well. It does drone a bit on decel (engine braking), and at highway speeds of 70mph+. Not loud enough you can't talk over it, or hear the radio, but you will notice it. Turbo spools quick though, as there is VERY LITTLE restriction now.

Intake I'm using a HKS mushroom filter, theres debate about its filter ability though, and its expensive. I did a thorough cleaning of the MAF, and I'm gonna check it for residue soon, just to see whats going on. Then I'm going to oil it (its a dry filter), and repeat, and see what that does. I'm partial to foam filters for their ability to continue to flow air even as they get dirty. Paper/cotton gauze filters only trap dirt on the surface, so once the surface is dirty, you start seeing restriction.

As for brakes, I'm thinking wilwoods, but I haven't spent much time researching brakes yet. Wilwoods are nice though.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

^wow... thats quite a list lol

Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM
5th Gear

I think my car is underestimated/overlooked here, because I don't have a 'mod list' in my sig. Once in a while, I break out with one of these review lists and get someones attention.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: achTTung

I think my car is underestimated/overlooked here, because I don't have a 'mod list' in my sig. Once in a while, I break out with one of these review lists and get someones attention.
psh whatever. ur cars ghey haha! i kid....

I have seen some of your other posts... When does your car become a full blown track car? That would be sick. I wish i could afford 2 tt's i would have one dd and one that is full race with some wicked suspension.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
5th Gear

I have roughly $8000 left to pay off before I'll consider buying another car. When I do, the TT will most likely make the crossover to track. I'm hoping to find a car that needs little modding to be fun as my DD. For some reason, 1978 911 keeps coming into my head. Dunno why that year, it just popped into my head one day.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: achTTung
For some reason, 1978 911 keeps coming into my head. Dunno why that year, it just popped into my head one day.
Fuch yourself.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 PM
SoCal Crew Member

If you are going for an older 911.. I suggest you find a 1974 and older. That way you can do whatever you want to the car and never have to worry about Smog Checks. Though the older one can cost up to 2x more than the 1978 you are looking at. If you keep an eye out, you can find some good deals.

Also you said you cut your exhaust off. This is a stock Exhaust you are talking about?

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 PM
5th Gear

Quick Reply: which upgrades to do in sequence?