Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

upgraded timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default upgraded timing belt

I REMEBER hearing of a company that was working ona kevlar timing belt but cant seem to remember where that link was or what company was doing that. if anyone has that link that would be awesome.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: upgraded timing belt

The only upgraded kits I know of are available at ecstuning.com with the primary upgrade being the metal water pump impeller, although they also sell more extravagent kits with upgraded underdrive pulleys. These kits though come with an OEM caliber belt. I'm not sure if the Kevlar would be even worthwhile. The belt itself lasts almost forever its the plastic impeller that cracks and causes the belt to slip and consequently break. The belt is not the weak link. No ones put enough miles on a metal impeller yet but I would guess that with one in place the belt will last a very long time.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

this is true but nonetheless i was wanting to see the link just out of curosity

Old 02-20-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Here you go. This is the site of the world's largest Kevlar belt manufacturer and if you want one they will custom make one for you if they do not have one in stock

http://www.beltcorp.com/products/tim...ts/default.asp

Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 AM
2nd Gear

The belt doesn't fail. .the primary mode of failure is in the tensioner.. tensioner fails, belt slips, valves crash, wallet empties.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 AM
3rd Gear

i know....i was a victim of that whole mess wont make that mistake again....

Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM

Just had my belt changed this week. Purchased the car at 63K miles last month and planned on having it done right away. I ended up taking it to Prestige Imports Audi/Porchse here in Denver and they replaced the belt, tensioners, water pump with the plastic impeller, and serpentine belt. Turns out that the tensioner was basically shot. I guessI was lucky that I didn't wait a couple months to get it done or I might have beena victimas MeanAudi was.

On a side note, I couldn't find a reputable shop that would do it for less than $1300 so I took it to the the dealer and paid $1400 for the work. The day I went to pick up my car my boss asked me if i could drop him off to pick up hisBMW (an old E30 M3) that was in for maintenance. I turns out that the place is an Audi/BMW/Porsche/MB tuning shop and would have doneit for less than $900 with metal impeller. Oh well, next time.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Hey Vorais,
What shop was that in Denver that would do the belt,etc. for under $900? I'm in Boulder and will be looking to have that same work done within the next 10,000 miles.
Thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear

Got my timing belt service done today, the works metal impeller, new belts, tensioner, thermostat and all for $636 with tax... and this was at a Audi dealership...hehehe

Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear

FWIW, the belt I got from dieslegeek looked like the same aramid fiber (kevlar) belt that Dayco sells for the Harley drive belts.. It was not just a rubber belt, from the sides I could see the fibers...

Quick Reply: upgraded timing belt