Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

UPDATE timing belt is not fun and quite difficult to line up

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: timing belt is not fun and quite difficult to line up

Magic Markerlike crazy my man, if the cam did move, I'd have known it, but I'll also say, that bitch wasn't going anywhere w/o some effort. Thats a bunch of valves to be moving around by hand.

Also why I've super stressed the whole 'do two rotations of the crank' thing. Theres almost NO WAY you can destroy anything as long as you check it by hand before you try to start it. IMO.

I like the water pump trick, I'll have to give that a try next time.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear

no i found the waterpump trick on a link over at audiworld.com...the trick is to not install the waterpump till very last and just slide it up into position while the gear moves on the belt and the hardest part there is to get the bolts started...

Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
5th Gear

You sure thats not where you're screwing yourself with the 2 teeth?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear

idk...i think the crank might have moved a little while i was doing all this and it had to of moved before i wedged a screwdriver in there to keep it from moving...im gonna try again i just got those m5x60 bolts...gonna try that to release the tensior. and line it up again at TDC and do the water pump trick again...just wondering if i will have to remove the idler pulley again...not a big deal but its hard to get back in with the support mount in the area..lol

Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
5th Gear

I'm gonna add 'mark pulleys and block' to my list of things that should be covered in magic marker when you do a timing belt. Better yet, light off a stick of TNT a few feet from the side of the car, so you get that nice carbon outline like Wile E. Coyote

Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear

i have no idea how to make that screw work and press down on the tensior pistion...i dont see how its even possible a nice pic or video of this would be nice

Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
5th Gear

You get it figured out?

Look the pic in my first post, see the forked piece on the tensioner roller? You're screwing that down towards the dampener to compress it.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear

ya i got the pin back in place and when i get home gonna try to get the belt on again...i tried my waterpump trick again last night and it didnt work.....the belt reinstallis by far the hardest part of this whole ordeal...any more tips anybody

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

i got it and she drives amazing....i dont know what it was but my car is so much faster than it used to be...AND I HAVE ZERO CELS....even with the SAI,EGR,N249 deletes....maybe my ecs lightweight pulley helped a bit too....i did ecs lightwieght crank pulley,new coilpacks,new plugs ngk bkr7e, direct vac source to DV...im so happy i dont have any CELS...and the car is amazingly quick....

Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm make believe

Glad its finally up and running. You wouldnt get a cel for that deleted stuff for some time, that is unless you did add in resistors.

Quick Reply: UPDATE timing belt is not fun and quite difficult to line up