Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Tt roadster 180 fwd tramsmission compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Tt roadster 180 fwd tramsmission compatibility

Where to begin? 1 mo. Ago I bought an Audi tt that was in excellent condition or so I thought first thing I did was ordered bilstien pss9 ordered all new polyurethane bushings for front and rear suspension, new ball joints, rear h&r adjustable sway bar, all new shocks and strut mounts. I also chiped it using apr stage 1, upgaded to ecs air intake manifold power gasket, and installed an injen cold air intake. I installed all new lightweight pullies, new water pump, new timing belt and tensioner, new serpentine belt and tensioner. In addition I installed a stainless manifold, spyder led tail lights.... Now for the bad and ugly... While working on the front suspension I noticed the passengers side axle flange had a minor leak.. No problem I thought but boy was I wrong!!!

When I separated the axle from the flange I noticed the flange was full of gasket maker... I was pissed when I saw this, I took all the gunk out to access the bolt. the bolt is not the original so got even more pissed. I start to take the bolt out and I notice the bolt was cross threaded all of a sudden it just starts to spin but I can feel its grinding on something after fighting for several hours I decided to cut the bolt out and i got the flange out. After inquiring with different transmission shop the say the transmission is pretty much gone and I need to do a complete rebuild, which I don't believe the car was shifting perfect before all this. Then I had the bright idea to just do a transmission swap.... So when I do research on this I find the transmission code needs to be egz and I confirmed with the Audi dealer using the vin... Well what is on the car is not an Audi transmission, the code is egx and Audi dose not have this code so obviously it's a vw transmission now the question is what transmissions are compatible with Audi tt trany? I have found several transmissions that say they are compatible with egx. And I have found some that are even 6 speed that are compatible with egx but I weary of buying something that won't work and get stuck with a large paper weight ... Need help please advise on possible solutions.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

sorry about your problem. i had to go through this, not fun at all.

i have the 01 225q tt, 6-speed. mine came with code FHB, however i found that tranny corelates with the 180q 6-speed tt. long story short i grinded my 1st, 2nd and reverse to nothing, gear dissapeared. even in the owners manual it said it was assembled and mated with the FHB which i thought was odd. anyways i upgraded to a DQB which was a real 225q tranny. no problems since.

stay with a 5 speed, gear box isnt mated to 6-speed. get an audi trans, one thats rated for a 180hp fwd engine. check the real correct trans code that should be mated to your engine code.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Jo for the input... I picked up the original transmission today and will finish install tomorrow..