Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT radio removal tools?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:46 AM
1st Gear
Default TT radio removal tools?

I can't seem to find which specific tool is necessary to remove the stock Bose Concert cd player out of my 03 TT. I keep finding tools that list every car except the TT as compatible. Is this something I can pick up at Kragen/Pep Boys or can someone link me to the correct removal tool?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: TT radio removal tools?

They are universal keys, you can buy them at the dealer or get a universal kit from a company like MAC tools that does almost all german cars.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear

Or like me, make them out of the hangers on a Pendaflex file. There's a good picture of how to make one here on Jeff Bipe's page. Just use a Dremel to make the cut. I added a small notch at the point where the bevel starts which is similar to the factory tool that lets you "lock" the tool in the slot. You might need to play with the angle a little to get it, but it is an easy and cheap solution. Or you can go to your local audio shop and slip the tech a couple of bucks to pop your head unit out.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

NO EASY TASK. At leatst it wasn't for me 2 weeks ago when I installed my bluetooth phone kit.

The instructions that steve posted looks good but it doesn't include a "notch" like the tools have.
My brother and I tried to make our own out of a hack saw blade but this is tough because that blade is hard to grind (after all its made to cut pipe).
I think we had it based on a picture I saw in fotki's site I think. When I printed the pic it was about the true size.
Then the radio didn't budge so we thought we made it wrong and was affraid of bending the releases.

I would have ordered the tools if I wasn't in such a hurry. The cheapest I found was about $15 with shipping. I liked the oem tools because they have rings on the end which are really essential imo becuase the radio might be stuck and you need to really yank on the tool.

I ended up taking mine to the dealer and humbly asking them if they would yank it for me. It took them several tries and they had to loosen it by prying it with a screw driver while pullin on tools.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: slo1

I can't seem to find which specific tool is necessary to remove the stock Bose Concert cd player out of my 03 TT. I keep finding tools that list every car except the TT as compatible. Is this something I can pick up at Kragen/Pep Boys or can someone link me to the correct removal tool?

$5 on eBay, not hard to find at all. Just bought some last week. There are at least a hundred listings on there.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM

you can use long skinny nails and it comes right out