Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT overheats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear
Default TT overheats?

hey, how are u guys,, i just bought a 2000 tt that over heats with a good price. so i took the car to get it fixed, they changed TB and all its components. waterbump tensioner etc.. and resurfaced the head and checked make sure there was no crack,,, and all the related gaskets!!
so when i got the car back, it drives like new and temp needle always point at mid.. everything seems fine til i let the car idle for 5 minutes... the needle will slowly go pass mid and reachs the first notch after the mid point and the fan will turn on. and it will drop back to mid again........ so my question is that is it normal for TTs to do that??? i did some searchs on line and find out that so many tts will have their temp needle STAY at first notch passed the mid point....
is there any way i can let the fan turn on earlier so the temp will not go over mid to the 1st notch? or it shouldn't go pass mid point at all???
PLEASE HELP GUYS, MORE INFOR IS NEEDED!! thx

Old 11-19-2008, 08:16 PM
5th Gear

thats normal, so don't be worried.

If it does it at some point and its having trouble going back down, rev the car up just a couple hundred RPMs and hold it. The speed the waterpump turns at is directly related to engine speed. You'll increase flow more than you'll be adding heat. Helps to bring temps back down.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DoCtOr-G
hey, how are u guys,, i just bought a 2000 tt that over heats with a good price. so i took the car to get it fixed, they changed TB and all its components. waterbump tensioner etc.. and resurfaced the head and checked make sure there was no crack,,, and all the related gaskets!!
so when i got the car back, it drives like new and temp needle always point at mid.. everything seems fine til i let the car idle for 5 minutes... the needle will slowly go pass mid and reachs the first notch after the mid point and the fan will turn on. and it will drop back to mid again........ so my question is that is it normal for TTs to do that??? i did some searchs on line and find out that so many tts will have their temp needle STAY at first notch passed the mid point....
is there any way i can let the fan turn on earlier so the temp will not go over mid to the 1st notch? or it shouldn't go pass mid point at all???
PLEASE HELP GUYS, MORE INFOR IS NEEDED!! thx
Wow....how much lighter did your wallet get?

Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear
Default good work?

orieginal audi TB waterpump tensioner thermostat. resurface the head.. checking for block cracks, all the gaskets including header gaskets..adjust steerwheel line so no more noise when i take off. with the labor all together for $1567.00... good deal? i think so.
by the way. could it be the bad fan switch that made the fan always come on late??? or the coolant temp sensor is bad that always send the signal to the fans with few degrees less that made fan comes on late???
thx guys

Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 AM
2nd Gear

I would check to see if you have the right temp sensor. I think mine is green topped. Some have been known to be faulty. I'd check it out. Quick and cheap fix.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM

same here i hear it's normal but still freaks me the F*CK out. i did all u did and the temp sensor and replace the thermastat with a cooler one. it's opens up at a lower temp. it still does it. it's crazy.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 PM
2nd Gear

Mine did that before.
Turned out one of my two fans was busted.
Replaced that and my temp gauge has never gone above middle since.

-Turn on your engine and turn the AC on.
-Check if both fans are spinning.
-If not, you may have a bad fan or a bad FCM (Fan Control Module)

Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
1st Gear
Smile fan control module?

both of my fans are working fine when i turn the ac on..
but they seem come on a bit of late only when the needle reachs the first notch after the midpoint.
so my question is . is it normal? or it is the bad control module that made the fan comes on late or the sensors that tells the fan the wrong temp with few degrees less, so it turns on late?
by the way, the temp will come back mid after the fan turns on. and temp always stay in mid in good driving condition. it only happens when i hit heavy traffic or just letting the car idle... more informantion please guys, i am sure some1 had same problem as mine. thx A LOT AGAIN!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
5th Gear

one more time...
Originally Posted by achTTung
thats normal, so don't be worried.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 PM

same thing happens to me the only thin i haven't replaced is the Fan Control Module. everything and i mean everythin u explained happens to me. but some people say it's normal so i'm not really stressin it.