Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT brakes failed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Default TT brakes failed!

Hi everyone, I am new here!

This was me yesterday - then I was

I have a '51 TT, 225 and have only had him 5 months.

Basically last week I was getting the (!) warning flashing up intermittently, pulled into a nearby garage (wish I hadn't), he said your front pads need doing, that will be £110 please, I said no thanks, my boyfriends mate looked at it and said the pads were fine although they will need doing at some point in the near future as they aren't fantastic but not bad enough to produce warnings.

Took it to a mechanic my boyfriend knows the weekend just gone - he said the brake fluid reservoir was practically empty so he filled it and told us to come back if the problem gets worse, again checked the discs and pads and said there is still a bit of meat on them.

Anyway, (!) disappeared and I had it on the drive all Sunday, never touched it, drove it to work Monday and the ESP light came on, my brakes were starting to feel a little spongey. On my way home the ESP light was off for a while but then came back on, by this point the brakes were getting noticeably worse and the bonnet started to smoke. Then the (!) came back on.

I drove a little further to where it would be safe to pull over and the brakes only just slowed my down enough to stop, they didn't actually stop me. I had my foot to the floor.

So I called Green Flag, they are amazing, arrived in 5 mins, that is better than the police!

As soon as he saw it, he said the brake fluid is leaking. So we have left it in the garage today, I am so sick with nerves at how much this will be and what it is because our mechanic goes away on Thursday and he said he would squeeze it in for us.

Another thing I need to mention, we have THE fuel gauge/dashpod problem and I broke down last month, we had someone out to tow us and he couldn't find the towing eye and connected it to the power steering pipe unbeknownst to us and it ripped right out, £300 later that was done, no probs, however could that incident have knocked the brake pipe or split it? Are they near to each other?

Also has anyone else had this brake problem and how much was it?

Please help, I am desperate!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear

Welcome sorry you had such bad luck with it. Where about in the UK are you? I have been there a few times. Is there any brake fluid on the ground? Does the brake reservoir leak and empty itself? The brake master cylinder could be knackered. PS your towing hook is in the boot next to your spare it screws in the front of your car behind the grille on the driver side assuming your RHD there is one in the back on the driver side as well. Join the TT-forum.co.uk it is a bigger and more active site that can help more.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM

not sure about your brake problem but for future reference the tow hook is in the trunk with the spare tire and the small amount of basic tools that come with the car for emergencies. the owners manual shows where to find it and how to install it. the tow truck driver should have pointed out that there was no place to tie to and given you the chance to install it or installed it for you. i don't know how the laws in the UK work but in Texas that would fall under gross negligence and the tow company would be responsible for the damage.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Well the garage called and said something was rubbing on the brake pipe for a number of years as the pipe is steel and unfortunately it has had to be replaced. This is costing me £150, which I don't need after the £300!

I tried to sue the company who did it but they said they are not responsible as it was a favour and not booked as an official job!

Tis true but it has resulted them in losing a customer, and much more when the word gets around.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

That is a bummer there not going to reimburse the 300quid. Even if it was a side job not on the books it was their fault and they know it. Tell them they need to pay it as it was totally their fault or get them to pay half or complain and tell everyone you know that that garage is ****. (They won't like that option). Maybe consider joing the AA or RAC.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 AM

I also have a TT. Tuned it up to 410hp, but left the original brakes. TT has very weak brakes from the start and they make so much pain to me. Gonna change them someday.