Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

TT and the 350Z not what i thought

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Default RE: TT and the 350Z not what i thought

I can give you a pretty detailed comparison of these two cars because I just traded my 2003 350Z Touring for a 2002 ALMS TT. Most of the observations above are relatively accurate, however I had the Z with the Leather seats, and all the other crap so it never felt "cheap" to me. The Z is a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder engine that puts out 285 HP to the back wheels, so without the traction control on and a little rain, you could break loose really fast. I have only had my TT for about a week, so have not had a chance to get to know it as well as I did my Z after 3 years, but I will be very curious to see what kind of speeds I can hold on a 270 degree decreasing radius highway on-ramp near my house that I pushed my Z to it's limits several times on.

From a performance standpoint, the turbo on the TT does an amazing job. I thought I was going to really miss the 60 HP I was giving up, but the when that turbo kicks in on the TT it certainly has enough ability to push me back in my seat. I need to adjust my driving habits and perhaps consider some kind of a small mod to take care of that little pause before the turbo does start to assert itself.

My main reason for getting out of my Z is winter was coming again and I didn't want to have to go find a beater again. I would usually just garage it and get a winter beater/disposable type car to get me through the snow here in northern Indiana. Also, the problems the Z has with tires was just too much for me to continue to have to deal with. I had new front tires at 12K miles (which took 3 months to arrive from the factory) which were warranteed, at 20K miles I had to put new rear tires and new brakes on it out of my own pocket. When I traded it in with 27k miles, the front tires were again just about slick on the inside edges due to an engineering/design flaw in the front end of the Z that made it impossible to make tires wear evenly.

It was a really fun car to open up in, and handled amazing at extremly high speeds. But something tells me that will also be true with the TT, but now I get to have headlight washers too!

Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I agree with all you. I just posted the video because i found it kinda fun to watch
The Audi is a much nicer car and better refined.
Also the TT or much more upper class i think.

I looked at 350Z's but thought the Audi was better and AWD in the winter sure beats RWD haha

Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

I don't know guys, I really, really like the 350z. If I could've, I probably would of got that instead of my TT.

But remember, this is based on absolutely nothing, lol. I never really looked inside the Z and I never drove it either.

Either way, it seems the
TT>350Z.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

your saying the tt is less than the 350z ! your nuts i thought about a z before the tt and after lots of considering the Audi is a lot better looking, funner to drive, AWD, more of a head turner!!!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

Having owned a Nissan 240SX ('89 traded up to a '97) I loved the performance it gave me - but being a somewhat practical fellow - the 350Z is strictly a 2 seater - like the original Z cars and the very original Fairlady. Having 2 11 year olds and a 10 year old - I've actually used that back seat for more than storage - so it was a factor in going for it. Will have to rethink that in a year or two... [8D]

As for the video - I laughed at the snooty reaction of the Brit journalist. From the get go he about creams his jeans driving the 350Z and turns his nose up at the TT shortly after. He obviously suffers from ED.

So from my perspective the TT is one of the most original Audi's ever produced - not the fastest - but it is certainly the most nimble of any of the "A" series and I have to agree with Achttung - 1.5 secs is truly no reason to snub the TT. I'm still learning how to drive this little beasty and she's proven more than I could hope for in regards to an overall package car... my 2 cents... lol