Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

The truth about Modshack

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Default RE: The truth about Modshack

Not to hijack the thread but I see a few people have asked about DEFCON. I installed DEFCON 2 last month. Steering is tighter and has a slightly more direct feel now. For around town driving I would save my money, especially because it was a bear trying to get the parts in. However I track my car a few times a year and for that purpose its been a worthwhile upgrade.

ORIGINAL: Wintermute

ORIGINAL: DurTTy

any1 on the defcon mk1 suspension conversion?
Someone answer this I'm curious.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

when you say they are a pain to get in, you mean that i need a press right?

also do you have any other suspension mods along with your defcons? SB,shocks,springs/coilovers, Poly bushing etc.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Yep, pressing them in is a PITA. Then be sure to get an alignment afterwards...even if the car feels straight...it won't be.

Only other suspension mod I have now is the 19mm rear sway bar. I'll probably look into coilovers in the spring.

when you say they are a pain to get in, you mean that i need a press right?

also do you have any other suspension mods along with your defcons? SB,shocks,springs/coilovers, Poly bushing etc.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

and why do you say its not a good idea if you want every day driving. (mind you i take my car to the circuit all the time) but i do drive it in the summer.

does it make it that much stiffer that you feel when you run over a paparoach

Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

Ive got the rear sway &poly dogbone. When I finally order my coilovers, I'm going to knock it all out at once: Polyurethane all around, DEFCON, front sway, and adjustable rear control arms.Blue or orange Haldex controller in about a year (probably blue because i hear the orange can be a bit dangerous on road use.)Control arms have a ton of oxidation... so Im thinking of just buying brand new ones from ECStuning ($250/pair i think) and then do all the pressing at work prior to the removal of the old ones and then just pull everything off and do it at once.

As with most things... when you start modding... the first 4-5 mods you do... will cost only a little... and produce large to moderate difference... but once you hit so many things... after that you pay big $$ for smaller increases in performance. Usually only serious upgraders (if thats the word) will invest that stuff to just get that little edge above the majority that stuck with the standard stuff. this type principle goes for most any mods... audio, performance, cosmetic. In audio for example... the difference between a $1,500 set of components... and a $3,000 set of components... is small... but people will do it to get one step above the rest.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:10 PM

Durtty,
I wouldn't say its not a good idea, I just said for around town use I personally feel the benefit doesn't warrant the cost and time. For what I do with my car I felt the mod to be worthwhile. It was not one of those "OMG why didn't I do this earlier" mod but rather one of those "Cool, this makes the car a bit more fun around the track" type of deals.
Also, when you asked in an earlier post what other suspension mods I had...I forgot, I have poly dog bone mounts as well.
I still say the best bang for the buck mod I did to my car was the 19mm rear sway bar!

and why do you say its not a good idea if you want every day driving. (mind you i take my car to the circuit all the time) but i do drive it in the summer.

does it make it that much stiffer that you feel when you run over a paparoach

Old 10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

Ive got the rear sway &poly dogbone. When I finally order my coilovers, I'm going to knock it all out at once: Polyurethane all around, DEFCON, front sway, and adjustable rear control arms.
NO[sm=chairshot.gif] do some research!

Poly and control arms don't mix. In a nutshell unless you want to pull off your control arms all the time to lube your bushings, poly bushings will feel great at first but wear out in a few months. DEFCON uses poly bushings in the kits.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...82260#27482260

[*]What about OEM hardware? Poly bushings?[*]Lower-control-arm bushings wear out and should be replaced with OEM equivalents every 4 years/50,000 miles or so for best performance as well. Polyurethane bushings are not a good choice despite what aftermarket companies say. Poly is cheap and easy to sell with nice bright colors. The retail mark-ups on these products are amazing! They generally feel stiff and sporty for a while but wear out quickly. Plus many need to be lubed regularly while oem bushings are maintenance-free. If you want the stiffest-and-sportiest setup, and the most expensive, you do not want a bushing at all; you want a spherical bearing. Get Technical | LCA bushing DIY | Discussion
[*]
Poly works great in engine mounts where it's only stressed in one direction. It's fine for other bushes too (swaybar etc). But not for control arms.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear

i thought there are bushing that donnot require any lubrication ?

i wanted to get the 19mm sway bar, but wasnt sure what the diff is on those vs the large bars aside fromt he fact that the larger diameter = more weigth

Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

....the rear 19mm neuspeed is a good choice...trust me i knew the difference the moment i put it on! much more fun to drive with it. makes the car more neutral and more or less fixes the TTs know "understeer" issue. and he is correct about how the poly is cheap and does require maintence..so prolly not the best option for control arm bushings.....as stated great for sway bar bushings!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

LOL I knew when I posted this discussion it would cause a debate, just not one this big!! I wonder what I should instigate next?!

Quick Reply: The truth about Modshack