Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

The truth about Modshack

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: The truth about Modshack

ORIGINAL: tom1222

but wouldn't you just suck in HOT air from the engine bay and isn't the VTDA suppose to somewhat
shield from the excessive heat?
The heat into the intake doesnt effect performance. Even though there is a difference in air temp going into the turbo, the turbo is so hot and the compressing of the air will create more heat to where when the air coming out of the turbo its close to, if not the same temp. Then the intercooler will cool the charged air as close to ambient as the core can before going into the manifold. Steve will throw some stupid formula at you claiming that cooler air will allow a turbo to spool faster since its denser, but it would be so small, it will never be noticable.

You want as much airflow available to the turbo so it can breathe. The problem with the vtda is that it uses a tiny *** filter which cant suck in enough air and then the cover restricts available air for the turbo to suck in also. If you dont want just a large filter on the maf, get a neuspeed p-flo or a evom intake. Both are costly and wont give you any gains over just a large filter or a nicer drop in filter for the stock box.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

So what would you recommend for a cone filter cincy? I don't wanna go with K&N because I'm paranoid of MAF+oil...esp with MAF prices going up[:@]

Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm make believe

The main problem with K&N is that its the people cleaning the filter using to much oil and not the filter itself. If you want, clean and reoil the filter yourself if you dont trust it out of the box. If you want my recomendation, The BPI full assembly is $98 and would kill the Modshack in performance.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:25 AM
2nd Gear

Like Nate(cincyTT) said, cooler air does up the performance... but the air gets heated so much between the intake and the intake manifold from the turbo.... that the temp of the air going in will make very little difference. If you actually DO wanna lower the temps going into the intake manifold, you need to do it AFTER the air has passed the turbo. So your only options for this is: Intercooler, Aftercooler (I haven't seen any prefab kits for the TT yet for aftercoolers though), Water / Methanol Injection, orNOS.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm make believe

Arent aftercoolers a water 2 air intercooler between a blower and a V8 engine? Everything else to my knowledge is still an intercooler. Please correct me if im wrong domestic guys

Old 10-14-2007, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear

actually... you're mostly right. I had the two mixed up. By definition... the FMICs we use are actually aftercoolers. When the terms intercooler and aftercooler were keyed originally... they referred to cooling tanks (like ours) and the placement location determined its prefix; intercoolers were a pre-supercharger or pre-turbo cooling device... and the aftercooler was the last thing the air went through to be cooled before going into the engine after the turbo or supercharger. Just like the FMICs we use today.

So I guess what we're using would be what I am referring to as an aftercooler... and the one I was talking about being hard to find was the pre-turbo intercooler.

** by the way.. the reason I know this... is because my best friend is a really big mustang guy (8-9 sec ¼mile Mustangs... not your average putt-putt) and he just dropped a 351 bored and stroked to 377 into his 93 fox body and has close to 620 all engine HP. He then threw this insane supercharge with blower and "ice filled" aftercooler in with it. He's hoping for almost 1,050whp from this thing. (btw... the eng work was his final work. He did the drivetrain including changing all gearing himself, all the suspension, etc... before even thinking of putting that monster of an engine in it.

Anyhow.. after he showed me the aftercooler online... I started trying to figure out what it was and if i could do it too. I ran across a bunch of wiki articles talking about the history and verbage of the inter and after coolers.

ok yea </rant>

Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear

I have all three, and I love all three also. The only thing I dont like is the cover on my VTDA. Like it was stated earlier, Steve is a very good guy, and is always there to help me out on any questions that I have to ask.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 PM
5th Gear

intercoolers were originally the cooling devices between stages of compression on aircraft back around the time of WWII. They used multiple blowers, each stepping up the pressure, inter was between them, technically what we're using these days are aftercoolers, as they're the last point between the compressor and the engine.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear

(I'm such a sheep)... I couldn't help but to take the ol' VTDA off and do my own modification to it, lol. I removed the insluation from the inside and took off that weird cone thing that was screwed on the front of the filter. Then put it back in the housing.

its amazing what that little change did, I lost the subtle rumble and was replaced with a constant sucking sound under throttle, HOWEVER, its not as annoying as aopen filter, I'm guessing because its still in the housing its toned down some and is not as high pitched. Also unfortunatly the DV recirculation sound was increased which makes it sound not very clean(having a splitter and hearing the recirculation doesn't sound good to me). it also seems to have added a little extra power.

on a side note my filter was a little black looking, I hit it with a little red spray paint to make it look like new!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: eliTTe

on a side note my filter was a little black looking, I hit it with a little red spray paint to make it look like new!
thats hilarious.

I've cleaned mine twice and no maf+oil problems at all.

Quick Reply: The truth about Modshack