Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Toyo Proxes FZ4 Nice or Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Toyo Proxes FZ4 Nice or Junk?

After reading a bunch of consumer reviews, it seems opinions are all over the place. I wonder if the negative reviews are from folks that just like to gripe.

Anyone have any direct experience with these? Looking for decent all season tires.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Toyo Proxes FZ4 Nice or Junk?

i have toyo proxes 4s... love them

Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I've ran Proxes T1-S (now replaced by T1-R), Proxes 4, and Proxes FZ4. I have found the FZ4s to be decent tires, not as much grip as the T1-S, but a greater tire (tread) life. I've noticed a little more road noise with the FZ4's then with both the T1s and Proxes 4. I like the FZ4, of course I like anything Toyo. The FZ4 does have a slight tendency to hydroplane a little bit more than the others I've tried, but the differnce is minor. Not sure what current prices are, but I believe the FZ4s are the lower cost options through Toyo. If they meet your price budget, I say go for 'em because they aren't a bad tire at all. Overall, I personally would spring for the Proxes 4, just because I like the way they feel and have better life than the T1-S and at a better price.

I don't know who you are shopping through for tires and/or wheels, but another option I would recommend are some BF Goodrich G-force Sports. These are what I currently have in the front of the TT now. I think I got them on sale when they were aroudn $100 each mounted and balanced. Normally I think they run 125-140. They have really great hydroplane resistance, do not make a lot of road noise, and so far my longest lasting set of tires. (I have Proxes 4 on the back.)

Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

BTW.. T1-R's, Toyos newest tire, is simply amazing in both dry and wet weather. I do not have too much personal experience, they're on my Mom's car. They have less than 5000 miles on them, therefore I'm not quite sure about long term life on them. They still look to be in good shape. I've done a burn-out or two, and they simply are much harder to spin than the $420 Dunlops that were previously on the car. The only thing I wonder about with those is the tire life. Though I have not seen a set of rear tires last more than 12k miles on her car due to the way the rear wheels are cambered. It's a 2004 BMW 545 with the sports package, so tire life isn't as big of an issue as with handling and performance.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input, I'm currently out of town and came across a regional retailer that would install FZ4s for $99 each. I like the looks of the 4's better though (more agressive tread) and the 4's are rated very high. If money were no object, I'd drop the $165 for the 4's, but might settlefor thr FZ4's at that price.

My summer sneakers are down to the wear bars and the road noise drove me nuts on the four-hour ride down, I'd be nice to drive back on new rubber. The old tires (Dunlop Sport SP's) were great but now have a little shimmy as well.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Installed at $99 each, you can't really beat it. Some might argue Kuhmos for similar prices, but Fz4s are definitely worth the $99.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm make believe

Had Fz4's on a Mx-5 and they sucked so bad, i would never put them on the TT with the TQ. I would never buy them again. Also had the T1's on my lancer and they were good, but not worth the money. If you want a great tire for the price get Kuhmo ASX's. I would easily buy another set when these were out.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Really? Wow I thought they were quite decent when I had the PT Cruiser. I'd go Proxes 4 all around on the TT, instead of FZ4s but thats my preference. I dunno, no experience with Kuhmos I heard theyre great for the price too. I liked my FZ4's for the price.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm make believe

I heard great things from the proxy 4's, but the FZ4's are junk. The fz4'sare not a performance tire imho.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Na, not a performance tire. A decent tire to get around on, but definitely not the best choice for the canyons and auto cross. I just checked tire rack on those Kuhmo ASXs and they're $87 per tire. I'm going to buy those, I need tires on the back to replace the toyos. Im low on cash, and will be going bigger rims soon anyway, but those look like a sweet deal, I didn't realize they were that cheap.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes FZ4 Nice or Junk?