Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Took the TT Plunge

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Took the TT Plunge

Well, I had mulled over a roadster for about a year with my heart set on a Boxster and my lifelong dream of owning a Porsche. That dream got delayed a few years today. I had tried out a few roadsters and I found the TT the most appealing. The Boxster seemed too tempermental and too randomly costly. In fact I liked the TT in pretty much every detail better than the Boxster except it dosen't have that really nifty Porsche emblem. I had actually wanted a TT ever since the first time I saw one in my parking garage in 2000. Anyway, my TT will be officially mine at the end of next week when my bank hands over the check to the dealer (deposit already down) my new ride will be a white 2002 TT Roadster 225 Quattro with black interior. It even has a bit of life left on the factory warranty, so I'm off to scour this board and look for things to bring up in the almost 4000 miles left.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:20 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Took the TT Plunge

Congrats. They are fun cars. Couple little quirks, but what car doesn't have them?

If you haven't caught on yet, make damn sure you get the timing belt done at 60K miles, waiting is like playing russian roulette with your engine.

Run mobil 1 synthetic oil, and if you can swing it, a vag-com cable from ross-tech.com is an investment, whether you mod or not.

I've had 2 people ask to borrow my cable so far today, and I've only been awake 4 hrs!

Old 01-21-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips. I've been using synthetic oils in my cars exclusively since 1992. I've used Mobile 1 before, but is there an Audi reason to use Mobile 1 over Ams Oil or Syntec? No problems with Mobile 1, just askin'. Also, I was going to ask what the heck a VAG-COM was.. thought it might be like a Vag-Badger, but I did some searching and have what I hope is a more intelligent question.. Would a generic cable off eBay using 409 software be good enough, or should I go all out and get the genuine cable and run the 512 software?

Old 01-21-2006, 07:17 PM
5th Gear

I have the 'real thing' and it works great. I've heard that the generic cables don't always work, or work completely (you'll have some capabilities, but not everything will be available w/o registering (the 'real' cables are intelligent and take care of all that crap).

One downside is that you need a laptop connected. THere are a couple other companies that make software for diagnostics, that use a palm pilot. I like the vag-com though, as you can log data.