Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Timing Belt! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

Hey everyone. I just got done with my timing belt last weekend and I have to tell you, WHAT A FREAKING NIGHTMARE!!! It took me over 14 Hrs. to get it done and that was with on and off again help. I strongly recommend NOT doing this yourself unless you feel very comfortable in an engine. There were so many things that kept stripping out, not fitting and needing to be replaced, that by the time I got to the belt itself, I was so frustrated that I almost put it back together and took it to the dealer. After a very long night off from it, I was able to finish the next day. DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF!!!!! Much eaiser with two people, the entire time. The car is running just fine now and as strong as ever!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!

so you think it woukd be worth it to spend the 1000-1500$$$ to have a dealership do it? i think you might be right. I mean its is your timing belt, and if you F up that your engine will go dead so i think you might be right. I am gonna go pay them to do it soon i have the money, its one of my top priorities.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

I'm not saying the dealer is the "best" way to go, but here is Utah, It was going to cost me the same amout at some noname shop as it would have to take it to the dealer. How screwed up is that? I'm just glad I was able to get it done myself

Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: goatmaster3000

It was going to cost me the same amout at some noname shop as it would have to take it to the dealer. How screwed up is that?
dealer has higher cost per hour labor but will take less time and vise versa for the local shop, more hours at less cost per hour. So it kinda evens out i guess. Its all about getting the job done right.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:02 PM
5th Gear

I did mine myself, took me 8hrs, and the only help I had was in the last 1-2 hrs, to line up marks on opposite sides of the engine, and to help hold the motor mount in place while I got the bolt started. I'd guess my next attempt would probably be faster, now that I have an idea of what needs to be done. I'd rate the job a 7 on a difficulty scale. Its time consuming, no matter what way you go about it, but it certainly isn't that hard.

Sounds like you just had some bad luck with old cruddy bolts and whatnot. 14 hrs is not the norm.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:03 PM

just think of the experience you gained by doing it your self on top of how much you saved, next time you will do it in half that time because you know how to do it now ( it is a big challenge to take on your self if you have done it before) but well worth it in the long run - so well done,

Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

If I have this car long enough to do another timingbelt, I know what to expect. I was just giving everybody who was thinking about doing themselfs my point of view and what went on. I do have to say, I was glad I got it done when I did. My water pump had been leaking and there was no evidance of it being left on my driveway. The engine block was staind pink from the fluid and some rust. It was worth doing myself and saving the $800. Also, if you buy the kit from dieselgeek.com, The little waterpump bolts they includekinda work and kinda don't. I was twisting them each a 1/4 turn or less, and the bolt heads sheared right off, but it got the pump out enough to pry it the rest of the way out! So theydo work enough.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Yeah its definately not easy. The engine mounts actually have to be disconnected and the engine lifted up. If you don't have access to a hoist its probably impossible. I spent over ten hours and that was with the help of two jet engine mechanics who are used to removing engines everytime a jet is maintenced and I had access to a lift, power tools, and a hoist at the base hobby shop. If you don't have these things and are not a super mechanic or engineer going to the dealer for about $900 bucks for the full deal might be the best money you ever spent.
I almost ended up throwing in the towel, biting my ego and going there.I wouldn't go to just any shop though as thy may be unfamilar with the car as most timing belts are not this difficult (this is the only one I have ever changed so I might be speaking out of my ***) I would go to the dealer but I also understand a lot of VW Performance shops will do it as well for less. I know Autothority in Alexandria, VA does them. It costs a lot in labor to get done but they charge what they do for a reason and that's because its a lot of work.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
5th Gear

I didn't even have true jack stands when I did mine, I used the car jack to lift the car, and blocks of wood to hold it up. Also used wood propped under the edge of the oil pan, and raised and lowered the car to move the engine up or down. Its the low budget way.

btw, off topic... watching the fifth element. milla jovovitch is hot

Old 03-10-2007, 11:05 PM

if you're watching the 5th element you probably missed out on Kiss of the Dragon. 1 of the greatest movies ever!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt! WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!