Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

timing belt service.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: timing belt service.

ORIGINAL: beachchair

ORIGINAL: DurTTy

I FYI expect low rmp vibtrations, regardless of how you want to play with the clutch it will still cause vibrations.

the ES dogbone insert that i got required a 20ton press to get it installed so, be prepared.
I'm doing them this weekend, I bought the 2 piece kit, and am not replacing the center bushing, as it is my unerstanding it is semi- permanent, and only meant to be replaced if damaged.
Don't know why anything about the kit would produce vibration.
the reason you get a dogbone upgrade is to get stiffer rubber in the insert. and yes you only get a 2 peice kit. the swing arm part you dont replace, another thing too, the bolts that hold the dog bone are stretch bolts so go to the dealer and get new ones, last thing you wnt is to have them fall off while you drive.

the reason you get vibrations is as follows: oem bushing = built to have play so that they absorb vibrations. (the energy of the vibrations absorbed by the softness of the rubber)

if you go stiffer that energy is transferred to the chassis so you get vibrations,

the same goes for the engine mounts.

and the dogbone mount needed a press cuz the bolt would not just screw in, i had to press the insert in so that the bolt would grab.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

and the dogbone mount needed a press cuz the bolt would not just screw in, i had to press the insert in so that the bolt would grab.
If I'm understanding correctly: There is a possiblility of having to press one of the bushings with the 2 piece dog bone kit? I have the PowerFlex bushings.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

when the dogbone top bolt comes off two rubber peice inserts come out. there is a metal plate that sandwiches two of inserts. the oem isnerts are soft so you can just press it in with your weight and the bolt (legth) will grab the thread. (the inserts are pressed in and then the bolt will grab)

it was my experience that when the stiffer inserts are ready to be bolted,(which are the same as the oem need to be pressed in a little), you need a lot more force to press them in than just your body weight.

so we used a 20ton press that we use to pop wheel bearing out of hubs. and im telling you go to the dealer and get the stretch bolts will cost a grand total of 12$ CDN maybe cheaper is USD?

you can take dogbone out and bolt it back it, thats the no brainer. you can probably jack your car, take the dogbone out, take the inserts out, and if you cant easily bolt the new inserts in, get a lift to a local shop (most shops have press for wheel bearings) and pay them 5$ to press it, or you can kindly ask them, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

it was my experience that when the stiffer inserts are ready to be bolted,(which are the same as the oem need to be pressed in a little), you need a lot more force to press them in than just your body weight.

so we used a 20ton press that we use to pop wheel bearing out of hubs. and im telling you go to the dealer and get the stretch bolts will cost a grand total of 12$ CDN maybe cheaper is USD?

you can take dogbone out and bolt it back it, thats the no brainer. you can probably jack your car, take the dogbone out, take the inserts out, and if you cant easily bolt the new inserts in, get a lift to a local shop (most shops have press for wheel bearings) and pay them 5$ to press it, or you can kindly ask them, it takes less than 5 minutes.
I am ready with new stretch bolts ($9.99), and will now be prepared to get access to a press if needed.
Appreciate the info.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
3rd Gear

me and a buddy were albe to just press them together and get the screw to catch a press is not needed trust me

a table vice might be all that you need if you dont have a buddy to help

Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear

i think its hit and miss, just like anything else

dont be surprised if you need a press, and be happy if you dont[8D]

Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

ok, i got my car back yesterday and all i can say is d*mn. it seems to pull a lot harder with the new plugs. the revs seem to come on a little faster with the new lightweight pulley but nothing major, just a slight difference but noticable. the new dog bone bushings seemed to make a big difference in the shift feel, shifts seem smoother now- not as clunky as they seemed before. the only time i've noticed any vibrations is when i let the revs drop too low in second, it seems to vibrate a little more than before, but other than that no vibrations at all. all in all i am very satisfied with everything and i think it was well worth the money spent. i should have done the dog bone bushing months ago whereas my only real complaint about my car has been the shifter feel- now its fixed and im as happy as a ******* clam.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

im reazlly glad to hear your liking the tune up you did

did you get the ECS lightweight pulley set? or you did crank only?

Old 01-27-2008, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

i think its hit and miss, just like anything else

dont be surprised if you need a press, and be happy if you dont
Completed installation. No press needed, but I did need a friend to help get that center bolt started as I only have two hands, and that was one of those jobs where I needed three.
As for the Dog Bone difference. That was the best $40.00 (which included new stretch bolts) I have spent on my TT. I like the stiffer ride, and more precise steering feel. I think it'll get even better when they have a chance to seat. Anyone thinking about it, should do it.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Wait until you add a Neuspeed 19mm Rear Sway bar or the H&R 21mmadjustable Rear Sway Bar. Either one will improve handeling10 fold.

Quick Reply: timing belt service.