Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Which Timing Belt Kit dieselgeek or ecs or? darn shops

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Which Timing Belt Kit dieselgeek or ecs or? darn shops

If you followed the MBC & Diode thread, I found my cover for the timing belt cover not latched and it has rubbed the belt, (not bad) but enough to warrant a new timing belt kit. Also even though I checked in with the Prevoius owner & the shop that did the work prior to my purchase. I dont believe the tensioner, roller, or Waterpump were replaced[:@]. The thing that makes me confident that the shop DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING is while I was talking to them they stated that the owner had always had serviced this car very regularly and had even done the timing belt before the service was due, the belt was done at 80K. Which is considerably late from what I have read everywhere. Also since I have had the car If it sits running it will go one mark past half on the temp gauge, on the HVAC readout trick on slot #49 I have seen it go to 103 degrees, it always go down to say 98. if I rev up the motor is seems to drop very quickly. so I fear there might be a broken or spun impeller. Anyways, I noticed the diesel geek kit seems to have a different tensioner, is this good or bad? The ecs has the Audi stamp right on the tensioner from pictures anyways. any good or bad about either? thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Which Timing Belt Kit dieselgeek or ecs or? darn shops

Both kits are good. Technically the parts are the same. If, however, the parts are not sold to Audi, the manufacturer is supposed to grind off or remove any Audi logo on them.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 PM
5th Gear

I didn't know that!

Old 02-27-2007, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

How much should it cost to replace the timing belt? My guy said around $730 with the parts. Is that a deal?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear

$700-800 incl parts is within the range to be expected. Go for it. Just be sure they include the water pump and tensioner at a minimum. Thermostat is doable, but not really a part of the overall TB install.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

Cool cool, do you think they could look at my belt and see if it even needs to be changed now without taking my car apart. I only have 40k right now.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:47 PM

its not the belt that fails (first i should say.) its the tensioner or waterpump that fail causing the belt to break.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

So are those parts viewable without pulling the car apart?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

does anyone know of a good shop to get the timing belt change done in NJ. preferably northern NJ/central NJ.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

I am going to do it myself I have rebuilt a handfull of engines,never any problems, I looked a t a couple of writeups online it looks pretty straight-forward. I did however check around, a local VW place quoted $650 for everything including Belt /tensioner/roller/waterpump/ thermoststat& housing. seemed decent, I asked about metal impeller he didnt seem to know. I think they use exact factory parts.I'm going to order a kit this week and probably do it early next week.

Quick Reply: Which Timing Belt Kit dieselgeek or ecs or? darn shops