Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

For those with MBC's....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
1st Gear
Default For those with MBC's....

What has your experience been? After a lot of reading up on them I have become slightly more wary of putting mine on (turboxs). I have also read the FAQ on here but want to hear from some users.

What do you have yours set to? (I am running an 03 180FWD btw)
I am chipped, will this still help regulate boost?

Also anything else you think i should know about running with one would greatly helpmy decision!

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM

I personaly dont have one but be very carful what you set it to......i've seen some pretty nasty outcomes of some turbos that have overspooled and damaged themselves !!!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM
5th Gear

mine is actually saving me grief right now. It's backed out to 7lbs since I have a couple small boost leaks throwing off my metering. Otherwise, I'd say not to overdo it.

Actually, you shouldn't be turning boost up to make more power anyway (if thats what you're implying you want to do), you should be finding ways to make your existing charge work for you even more. To a point, you're chasing your tail trying to make more power by adding boost, since adding boost adds heat, and hot air doesn't make power.

My buddy is making probably 250 crank on his 1.8T, and like me, he's operating at about 7psi until he gets his external wastegate plumbed in properly.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

I use a forge MBC to turn down my boost not up.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM

Really why would you want to turn it down ???

Last edited by GHETTOxWHITExBOY; 08-03-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: had caps lock on
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear

I don't always feel like running the turbo at it's max, sometimes I like to cruise.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
Actually, you shouldn't be turning boost up to make more power anyway (if thats what you're implying you want to do), you should be finding ways to make your existing charge work for you even more. To a point, you're chasing your tail trying to make more power by adding boost, since adding boost adds heat, and hot air doesn't make power.

Can't say I agree with much I have read here so far. I have dynoed my car both with my MBC and w/o it. When I did my dyno with my MBC and boost cranked an extra 6-7psi I made around 20 extra hp to the wheels.

As for the other guy who said he turned his boost down because he like to cruise or whatever, you should be able to cruise at any boost level with no issues...the turbo isn't constantly spooling, as long as you are not flooring the gas it shouldn't matter.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

My intention was to just have a stable boost at around 15-17 psi, this was to try and regulate the boost rather than having it spike and stuff.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm make believe

A mbc will allow the turbo to spool faster, hold boost longer, and allow you to set psi to what you wish. All the old post are from people using b&s type mbc's and they act way to fast and they hook it up incorrectly for that type mbc and then bitch about it. If you get a mbc with a bleed or just bleed, you will have smoother boost than a n75 and be allowed to have all the above. I also moved my boost source to a direct manifold source (see smoothing out the boost thread) and it helps out even more.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

I tried a ball and spring type for about 20 minutes. The biggest problem with those is that they're all or nothing. They are great for racing where you are wot all the time, but for everyday driving it's pointless. Another bad side-effect is the extreme lean condition it can produce. If the car is producing full boost on part throttle/fuel this could equal some serious damage.
In real terms, I had some serious bucking issues on part throttle and a nasty burning smell. Scary stuff for sure!