Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

tCarbon FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default tCarbon FMIC

Ok, so I noticed that the tCarbon FMIC jumped up in price by $50. Still haven't heard any reviews on it thus far. Soooooo.... I'm going to just go ahead and make one myself. I'm gonna go ahead and buy the kit Friday and throw it on when I have the bumper off for my Angel eyes/Smoked corners that just got here. I know it appears to be around 70% the size of the APR and Forge kits... but for half the price... you cant beat that. Hell... if its small enough... I may throw a second one in there later and run the tubing like the original SMICshaha. Seriously though... I'm sure SOMEBODY hasbought one of these. I have an account at vortex and audiworld, but I don't use them. Anyone heard anything? Btw... the gui for the audiworld forums friggin blows. the forum has great stuff... I just hate tree-view navigation.

I'll post pictures of the install once I begin.
^^ \\//

Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: tCarbon FMIC

idk about that FMIC....its pretty much an ebay core and custom piping for our cars.....the research isnt anywhere near APRs or Forges....you get what you pay for.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear

My wife actually went out and bought me one for me comming home from Iraq. Its a good product for the money that you spend. I can post some pics later. All the hardware and mounting was developed properly. It look just like how the pics of it look. I put it up next to my smic's and basically its the same thickness if not alittle thicker and width of both of the smic's put togther. I can still run 22psi, I havent done any logging but I am pleased with the product. Dont really see the need in buying the 1k intercooler when the 500 one will do the same thing. But deffinatly felt a power increase when I put it on. No more stuck like a slug when in the upper rm range. Like I said will post pics later.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

So basically, its about the same size as the other two... just in a way better location, making it cool much more proficiently. hmm

Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
3rd Gear

Yes it mounts the same way as the other two, mind you Forge, APR and OCT are only 2.5in thick, this is 3" thick but....it dosent extend under the actual bumper like the others do, the whole FMIC is exposed to direct airflow. I am not saying that the other products are bad, its just that I think that the T-Carbon FMIC will perform just as well as the others with a stock turbo, now if you are going to upgrade it, talk to the guys at Pagparts.com they will hook you up with something fancy...

Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

Oh... so this one actually has a thicker core? I didn't realize that. Well, since the part exposed to the direct airflow will be getting cooled, and the rest will sit stagnant in ambient engine bay temps... it seems a smaller, fully exposed core would be more proficient anyhow as it restricts flow less due to its smaller size. the APR and Forge, due to their larger sizes... WILL dissipate heat from it quicker as there's more surface area... but at about a 85% proficiency since it isnt fully exposed. This is smaller with less surface area... but the entire surface area is exposed so you're getting 100% proficiency from that smaller surface area. I guess it's just a trade off for what you want more... proficient and small, or slightly less profient with a larger surface area. Pretty even... except this will no doubt weigh much less. I'll see how i like it.
-shrugs-

Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear

Thats what I figured I would do plus with w/m injection it really dosent matter how efficient the intercooler is. I mean a 85 percent one vs a 90 percent one, I figure I will be good with the cheeper of the too and when I go Big Turbo it will be sold.