Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Storage compartment in Convertible TT wont stay closed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Storage compartment in Convertible TT wont stay closed...

There is a trap door that is between the seats and on the "wall" behind the driver and passenger of the convertible model. For me, it never wants to stay closed.

Any tips on how to finally get this thing to stay latched?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

I have never had problems with it. I think it locks when the doors are locked using the key fob.. i think. Maybe that will help you somehow? Good luck man.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem...after trying many things...the following works.

You must purchase and glue 2 neodymium magnets. They must be neodymium...nothing else is strong enough. 1 to the hatch and 1 to the area where it latches. The magnets should have a pull force of at least 6 lbs. No, I am not a nerd.

try here...www.kjmagnetics.com the rectangle blocks work the best.

Last edited by Neiman45; 02-14-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Neiman45

You must purchase and glue 2 neodymium magnets. They must be neodymium...nothing else is strong enough. 1 to the hatch and 1 to the area where it latches. The magnets should have a pull force of at least 6 lbs. No, I am not a nerd.

I love you.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 PM

are you having problems with anything else by any chance? I blew my Central Locking Unit, and my little door was stuck shut, then i found the climate control settings and was playing with them, and all of a sudden my map lights came on, and the cd changer door, and the little door that you are talking about, opened up..and now of course that door won't stay closed...I'm assuming it is a locking problem, and will be fixed on Monday....

Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Neiman45

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11

so many to choose from, which did you get/recommend?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Keep in mind that I do not have the convertible. I used these on the 2 hatches in the coupe which hold the first aid kit and cd changer, but the concept is the same.

be very careful of the magnetization. If it says magnetized thru thickness, you do not want to get a long skinny magnet. That means it will only attract to the small ends. Make sure u mark the gluing surface otherwise you may find yourself with magnets that don't attract.

These worked. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B555
You need to attach them with a very strong glue. Please read the FAQ on their site for recommendations.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

I suggest buying a pair of low strength magnets and some of higher. Don't go above 20 lbs, it will be difficult to open the compartment.

They are so inexpensive that you might as well buy a few and try them.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

I have a roadster with the same problem. The plastic male part of the factory latch has a small 90 degree piece at the end. When that end piece breaks, it won't stay closed. Failure of another Audi plastic part.
Magnets are a good idea, as is velcro. You don't want anything too thick or it will make the cover stick out.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

I just bought my roadster in December and noticed the open lid when I was test driving it. The sales guy said right away, they'd fix it if I bought it. Well he didn't realize how expensive that lid was....You can't get just the inside part where the plastic hook is molded to, you have to get the whole lid to make it right. ( it costs about $115 on genuineaudiparts.com)
If they wouldn't have fixed it I was going to try glueing or screwing a glass door push closing lock on ( like on some TV stands with doors). It would have worked the same way as the lock that's built in now. ( push in to open and push in to close)

Quick Reply: Storage compartment in Convertible TT wont stay closed...