Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Started building sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Started building sub enclosure

I started building my sub enclosure this weekend. Should be done some time next week. I cut the wood (3/4 MDF), laid it out roughly. Still need to radius corners, assemble, caulk, sand, lay fiberglass, sand, bondo, sand, and paint. I goal is to paint it to match the outside of the car, so it looks like an actual part of the car and not a sub enclosure. No carpet for me!

Putting in 2 JL 8W7 and a JL 500/1 monoblock.

Before I get comments, I know the supports are not even, they are not screwed down yet, only sitting in there for support to hold the top up.

Name:  Picture072.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  Picture067.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  Picture068.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  Picture070.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  22.2 KB

Name:  Picture071.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  40.8 KB

Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Damn I am soo envious, those are the xact sub and size that I wanted. But I was going to use a Phoenix Gold Titanium 1200 watt mono block. I opted to use Rockford Fosgate T110's. At 350 per JL ack too much. But 2JL 8W7 is gonna make your car sound insane.

Last edited by myxyzxo; 09-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

do you guys know where to tap in to get the audio signal from the stock wiring, or are you completely rewiring using an aftermarket head unit?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

dude, that is one clean looking box!... sick job man

Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by taifighter
do you guys know where to tap in to get the audio signal from the stock wiring, or are you completely rewiring using an aftermarket head unit?
I asked on here when I first did my amp wiring. I wanted to tap before the bose amp to get a clean signal but never got an answer. So I used a high/low converter and tapped one wire from each of the rear speakers. Just turned down the adjustment on the high/low to keep it as clean as possible then ran into the amp and let it do the amplifying.

Thanks guys! I have to go buy a router tonight or tomorrow, so I can finish this darn thing soon.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:43 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by taifighter
Depends are you using an aftermarket head unit? If you are then yes there is a wiring harness for your car. You wouldn't need to use a hi-lo converter.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 PM

what about where to tap into when using the stock unit ? sorry i posted in Electronics section but can't get an answer.. I can't figure out where/how to get my line-out converter / high-low converter into !

also.. i love the box man, can't wait for my pics

Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking about something like a BassTube, where it just needs a power supply and an audio signal from the stock headunit. Maybe others would also benefit from somebody telling us what to do?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by myxyzxo
Depends are you using an aftermarket head unit? If you are then yes there is a wiring harness for your car. You wouldn't need to use a hi-lo converter.
I have searched high and low and haven't been able to find a wire harness. I even went through the books from when i carried a dealer on a number of different audio companies, and found nothing. If you know what company makes the harness for our cars that would be a huge help.

On topic- Gorgeous box, with some of the best 8in woofers to match. should sound pretty clean when all said and done. Are you planning on upgrading your mids and highs to something of the same caliber as your sub-stage?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Damn there is only one company that makes the wire harness... Let me find out which company makes it and will post.. But here is an easier way to find out.. pretend to make a headunit order from crutchfield.. they will tell you what harness isneeded.. it's the same one from another line of audi, i think the b5,6.. Or you can go into your local stereo shop they should be able to tell you.. Like i said there is only 1 harness.. cost maybe 20 bucks at most.

Quick Reply: Started building sub enclosure