Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Slow Rising Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Default Slow Rising Convertible Top

Hello All

I have an '02 roadster that I bought last spring. All last summer, my top raised and lowered smoothly and without any issue.Now, after sitting up for the winter, I find that the top takes time to start lowering, makes some grinding sounds and lowers in a jerky motion like the motor is struggling to pull it down. I have the same issue when the top goes up again.

I talked to another TT roadster owner and he suggested that thelift motormay need an infusion of fresh hydraulic fluid...does any one know if this is true and if so, where is the lift motor located in the car? I don't access to a tech manual.

Also, I wash my car regularly including the top, I hope water isn't getting trapped in the lift gear and rusting it all together?

Thank you for any suggestions...

John

Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Slow Rising Convertible Top

ORIGINAL: qwikslvr

where is the lift motor located in the car?
All of the mechanics for the top are located behind the seats.
Also, I wash my car regularly including the top, I hope water isn't getting trapped in the lift gear and rusting it all together?
Water shouldn't be getting in there. The hydraulic pump comes with a cover that protects it.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: qwikslvr

Thank you for any suggestions...

John
What does this mean, you pressure wash the top?
Should be using ragtop cleaner or something.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM

I do use a wand, but I stand a fair distance away to keep the pressure down...just enough to wash the dust and crap off. I don't blast the water directly onto the fabric either. I've never had any water soak through. I'm not too keen on using a cleaner because I'm afraid the solvents in the cleaner may cause the fabric to fade or break down prematurely.

The top is in immaculate shape with no sun fading at all so washing with light soap and water with a good rinse seems to work for me...