Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Slow return to idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Slow return to idle

2000 180 quaddro TT, Between shifts engine spins down slowly delaying shifting into next gear. This was covered in earlier thread but no resolution was mentioned. No codes and no visible vacuum leaks, ordered a new N710 diverter valve as I plan to chip car and read this was a weak point. I don't want to chip it until I resolve this issue. Just purchased car 88,000 miles good shape for 12 year car.

Thanks
Bill

Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

previous owner swapped out diverter valve, need to pressure check system and then will look into throttle body. I did get an error code on the tps but that was after the battery was off for 2 weeks while the instrument pannel was sent off. Cleared the code and performed a TBA with VCDS and it has not popped back. Much to learn with VCDS -TTweakers guide has been very helpful. Surprised no one responded with some suggestions.

Bill

Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Its a rather strange symptom, I would rather like that, seems easier when shifting.

I wlike you would check the pressure systom, DV, throttle boy and hoses, possibly clean your MAF

Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

yes strange, I know as a emission control they slow the return but not to this extreme. If not fixed it will take its toll on the transmission (my wife drives it). Cleaning the MAF and throttle body is next, cost little and prudent. Next I need to make the plug with the fitting and pressure test the system and look for leeks. Last owner changed the timing belt but not sure about water pump and tensioners, will have to attend to them. Replaced shocks with Koni FSD stuck with stock springs (again wife drives car) found broken rear spring, could have purchased full coil-over set up and set to maximin heigh for what I have spent but thats life.Also replaces sway bar bushing source of annoying squeak. Car is a bit of a challenge all the minor issues in a 12 yr 88000 mile care I have been weeding my way through all the forums, purchased the manual and VCDS software so I will work through them. Rebuilt the glovebox latch with what I think will be a permanent fix - medal bracket with pins, and refinished seats with Leather World Technologies restore products (they look quite good will post pictures).

Bill

Last edited by wirewiggler; 12-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Since I had my dash rebuilt my temp gauge has been barely budging off of left side. I had one warm day and it did go up, so I am suspecting no thermostat or a defective one. I could see the ecu delaying return to idle when engine is cold. Will have to check gauge against Vag com reading when I get it back from paint shop.