Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

skid plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: skid plate?

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

The "Skid Plate" serves most as a sound insulation panel..
The panel smoothes out the airflow under the car and helps the air move faster then the air going over the car to push it down.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 AM
2nd Gear

Are you kidding me????? I can't believe you actually put the diagram up and still gave the wrong interpretation. Given the configuration of the TT, the air actually moves faster over the top of the car with the bottom sealed. Faster air means lower pressure which means lift. You need to go back and study physics again.

And besides that, the ETKA lists the part as "Sound deadener".

Maybe you'd better start studying things a little more before shooting from the hip. Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm make believe

i didnt say/post anything wrong. The air under the car will move faster and the slower air is going over the car. So with the low pressure on the top pushes the car down not up. With the bottom not sealed the air is slowed due to turbulance and causes the lift.

i know my physics but i dont see how you can make those claims, plus i feel the lift every time i take the car on the highway.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

Okay... I am going to explain this to you one more time... long path over the top of the car, short path under the car. Point A is at the front, Point B is at the rear. Air moving from point A to Point B must arrive at same time regardless of whether or not it is moving under or over the car. Because the air must move faster to get over the top of the car from the longer path, the air pressure is lowered due to the higher speed. That is one of the primary reasons why the recall was performed on the early models 2000 and earlier to add the spoiler to provide more downforce on the rear. There were several accidents recorded at high speed on the Autobahn in which the rear end had gotten light and caused severe oversteer.

Again... Audi recognizes the part as a Sound Deadening panel. There are no warnings, TSBs or other documents that state the panel is necessary for aerodynamics.

Ground effects on F1 and Indy cars are due to adding panels to the sides of the car to limit airflow under the car and thus create a vacuum, plus the added downforce from spoilers and wings.

This is my last post on the topic. If you continue to believe that way there is obviously no way that I am going to convince you that the earth is round either.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

I dont have mine on either, but I really dont feel any lift when I drive over 70. After I put on the new suspention I really wouldnt worry that much about it. Mine was the say way it was pretty much ripped off and so bent up that I couldnt put it back on. Im not too worried about getting it put back on, plus it makes checking the bottom end of the motor and tranny that much easier if I need to do it on the fly.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:02 AM
5th Gear

I have to wonder how much is sound deadening, and how much is aerodynamics. Schwing believes aerodynamics, and someone put an illustration together, so theres gotta be something to it.

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1513572.phtml

Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: achTTung

I have to wonder how much is sound deadening, and how much is aerodynamics. Schwing believes aerodynamics, and someone put an illustration together, so theres gotta be something to it.

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1513572phtml
Thanks for that great link matt. Everyone here and on other forums have great respect for steve schwing for his products/knowledge. I am glad im not the only one that has noticed this magical change in stability. The best comparrisson i can say is that it feels like you have your car lifted about and inch or so andmoves the center of gravity is much higher.

From that thread http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1513571.phtmlthe car handles better on the expressway with it, plus that panel has ducts in it to route airflow up into the engine bay...

if it's not hanging down and busted (like mine was) I'd suggest keeping it

Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 PM
3rd Gear

Yea mine was hanging down and busted too, so I think I was getting drag lol more than helping and it was throwing all the air it could into my engine bay even places that didnt need it

Old 02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
5th Gear

I actually didn't have mine on the car, a few tabs in on the front edge were broken when I first got the car. The first time I took the car up to 80, it actually sucked the damn thing right off the bottom of the car, and ground it into the road. Its 80% fiberglassed, sitting in the garage right now, figured I could use it as a mold to make a fiberglass version, and if by chance I broke that, I could always go back and make another. Even if i ended up making 5 of them, its still cheaper than buying a new one from the dealer. BTW, fiberglass resin doesn't like to stick to the skid plate, so fiberglassing one side is a piece of cake. Then just pop it loose, and build it up some more on the other side.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:23 PM
3rd Gear

Let me know if you do, I may be buying one from you it that would be possible.

Quick Reply: skid plate?