Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Silicone Intake Hose... Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Default Silicone Intake Hose... Is it worth it?

My car is chipped and I'm going to go to a Bailey DV and the APR 3" exhaust. I've read that the stock intake hose can collapse under high boost and that chipped cars are prone to exhibit this behavior. I can't imagine I'm running insane boost. I have the GIAC chip and I run the 93 Octane program -- I saw no need for the 100 Octane program. I didn't want to buy $10/gallon gas or spend time mixing fuel just for some kicks that would probably get me a ticket.

Anyway... how likely is this going to be an issue with a car that is basically stock?It's just going to be the chip, the DV and the exhaust and I think I will stop there. 290hp should be plenty in that lil' thing.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Silicone Intake Hose... Is it worth it?

I only have the 180, however, i really dont think its worth it... Ive got practically that with an exhaust soon but not even considering, but idk about you ole tough guys with your 225s

Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 AM
5th Gear

Its the 225 thats prone to collapsing intake hoses, and its a potential problem chipped or not. If you're car doesn't feel like its starved at high revs/boost, don't worry about it for now. If it does, well, you know what the problem is.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

I would go for it. I have the GIAC flash and at first I didnt notice it collapsing. After about a month or two with it chipped, I started feeling the collapse of the TIP. Especially on the highway in about 6th gear I can only go so fast cause the damn thing closes up and the rpm's just skyrocket but the car goes nowhere. Also, the other day I was going around a corner in 3rd and then stepped on it and it collapsed around 4k rpm once the turbo kicked in. So I'm gettin one soon, I would reccomend the same.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm make believe

Just go out to your car, open the hood, and squeeze the tip. If it gives with mild pressure, just think about with massive vacuum. The weakest part of the 225 is that it is all one peice and not made strong enough to handle the intakes suction. The 180's have a cast aluminum peice that makes it stronger, but still very restrictive.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 PM

I'm putting a Samco hose on my TT this Thursday and will let you know how it turns out. As of now, I experience the collapse at high RPMs just like moeron7 talks about.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

I put one on nmy car like last week. I had a feeling mine was collapsing. there's a spot in one of the bends that is very weak. It collapses at that bend.

You could always just wedge a stick in there sideways to hold it open if you're worried about cost. lol

Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

I put one on nmy car like last week. I had a feeling mine was collapsing. there's a spot in one of the bends that is very weak. It collapses at that bend.

You could always just wedge a stick in there sideways to hold it open if you're worried about cost. lol
Yeah I thought about wedging something in there for about half a second till I visioned the stick getting sucked in my turbo and just F'ing the thing to pieces. I've noticed the collapsing more ofthen now that its much hotter these days

Old 05-13-2007, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I wouldn't really recommend doing that. I suppose if you wanted to go through the trouble of taking the hose off... you could possible reinforce it with something on the outside. That might help prevent collapsing. Maybe get a metal hose clamp and glue it to the outside of the hose at that bend to help hold it open during high end acceleration. -shrugs-

Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 PM

It's not a cost thing. I spent $2400 on an exhaust. I just didn't know if there was any real benefit to doing it. I guess the consensus is that it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Quick Reply: Silicone Intake Hose... Is it worth it?