Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

silicone hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default silicone hose

Ok so I was finishing up with my weekend tinker job (new suspension) I was going over the engine bay .... because I had a small vacuum leak. First I thought it was the vacuume line running from the top of the diverter valve was kinda cracked on the inside of one of the bends so on one of my stops at the auto parts store I saw a (CHEAP) set of silicone hose various size and what. So i grabbed it thinking i could use some to freshen up some of the aging hosed i have now till I can get some to redo them all.

Later found the leak was the hose comming off the tip next to the FPR hose at the manifold was off reattached it life is good.

but afterI got all finished I now havea rough idle issue whenI start the car it revs to like 1-1.2k and then back down and dies. I restart it and just a light tap on the gas keeps it running but then has a VERY rough idle that bounces from like 600-800rpm. I did not have this issue before soI am sure something else has poked its ugly head out.

what I noticed is whenIpopped the hood the new CHEAP hose Iran on the top of the DV is sucked FLAT!!!

now
1) is this because I used cheap hose or is this normal with silicone vacuume line.
2) is this the cause of my idle problem now
3) I also did theDV shim (2 washer)dealI have an older hyperboost DV but doubt this has anything to do with idle.

and the other bad thingI prob did wasI didn't realize there was specific MAF cleaner and I used carb cleaner on it (was that BAD)

But I did disconect the MAF sensor and I still have the rough Idle.

any ideas?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: silicone hose

Are you sure you got vacuum line? Sounds likeair or lackthereofisn't going whereits supposed to.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

wrong size hose maybe.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

no it is the right size, and thought it was vacuum line.....but I'll have to double check!

anyone know how much of each size I will need to replace the lines.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

I bought 10 ft of 3.5mm & 8mm & started replacing whatever I saw.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like oneend of the flattened hose is connected to a vacuum source, but the other end is not (blocked or non-vacuum). Even a cheap hose should not collapse under the limited vacuum pressures the car generates unless it's restricted or blocked.

I recall about a month or two ago someone posted an under-the-hood photo of the various vacuum lines with tags showing the various diameters. Try searching silicone or hoses or what size etc

Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

ya carb cleaner wasnt a smart idea....that stuff is pretty rough...i would just order i new maf from ecstuning...get the refurb one...as its still a brand new electrical maf and just a used housing. or go the cheap route first and buy some MAF cleaner and see if that helps...also that cheap silicone prolly isnt worth a **** so get rid of it and buy a starter hose kit from hosetechinques.com

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

Yea I got the MAF cleaner and about to give that a shot when I get home. Also AutoZone (Parts store here in FL) has a remanufactured MAF for like $68 but that is with my core ore like $105 (ish) if I don't have the core.

As for hoses I was already looking at getting enuff to replace most if not all the lines. the cheap line was just to get me by and looking at a pic posted on another thread where some one listed all the sizesI used the weong size too i used a 3.5 whereI should have used a 6mm. But the 3.5 is what fit the nipple so that is whatI went with.

this is what i was looking at with adding like 2-3ft of 8mm to the kit
http://www.hightempsilicone.com/prod..._Mini_Kit.html