Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Default Rubbing noise

Hey guys about two weeks ago it started to sound like a rubbing noise coming from my back differential area. Any thoughts on what it might be. It get louder the faster I go. Honestly its annoying as hell.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rubbing noise

It would help if you could be a little more specific. Is it a metal on metal sound, or could it be something like a bushing? Is it a constant hum as you drive, or is it only in certain situations like when you hit a bump or a hole or something? The more specific you can be, the more other people can help.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks newb, I will take my lecture from someone that has been here a month. I think a rubbing noise is pretty specific, since I didn't mention anymetal rubbing or scrapping or pot hole sounds. I think I descrided it fine as a constant rubbing sound coming from the rear diff. and it gets louder with speed.

Mevans honestly I want to rip you so hard right now but I will hold my tongue. Get you head out of your *** and look at who your correcting. The fact I have never seen you on here before makes me more mad [:@].

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

I think I have the same problem with my TT. If you get an answer, it may solve mine... the rubbing noise I get seems to come from the rear driver side... i haven't got a clue what it is though.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mac_17

Thanks newb, I will take my lecture from someone that has been here a month. I think a rubbing noise is pretty specific, since I didn't mention anymetal rubbing or scrapping or pot hole sounds. -->-->I think I descrided it fine as a constant rubbing sound<--<-- coming from the rear diff. and it gets louder with speed.

Mevans honestly I want to rip you so hard right now but I will hold my tongue. Get you head out of your *** and look at who your correcting. The fact I have never seen you on here before makes me more mad [:@].
Wow my first encounter with roidrage. LOL I love it.

First off, if you look at your original post, you actually didn't describe it "fine" because you didn't describe it originally as a "constant rubbing sound," (like you said you did above). I know this because the lack of the word "constant" in your first post made me feel warranted in asking if the noise was constant or not. Just to clarify, you omitted that word in your first post when you said, "it started to sound like a rubbing noise." You didn't even mention the word "constant" at all...that's why I asked. I just say this to show that at least one of my questions did have some value, whether you acknowledge it or not. And seriously get off your fcucking 'high horse' and please realize that I was asking those questions not in an effort to "lecture" you, but to try and figure out if the problem you are experiencing is similar to a problem that I had about two months ago so that maybe I could help. All I have to say is chill out and don't have a heart attack over your misinterpretion of me trying to help you.

And once again I find it hilarious that you actually would show how pompous and arrogant you are by saying "and look at who your correcting." You're right, I should bow down and kiss your feet Mr. Emperor because I swear you definitely aren't just some random person that I don't even know, who is only connected to me by the commonality of the car we both own. If you think that just because you have been on this forum for longer than me means that you deserve my respect, then you are sadly mistaken. You could have been on this forum for 5 years and still be a dumbsh*t when it comes to knowing anything about the car. Sorry but you actually have to earn my respect; you have to actually prove to me you know what you're talking about. For example, cincy has clearly proven that he deserves my respect because it seems like he knows every possible thing about every aspect of the TT, versus you...not so much. And just because you haven't seen me isn't my fault haha...

But to end on a lighter note: I can't help you because my problem wasn't a constant noise. But I do sincerely hope you figure out what's wrong because I know that my problem sucked to have to drive around and have my car chirp at me whenever I hit a crack in the road or anything that made the road not completely flat. It sucked. Good luck though.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:36 AM
1st Gear

Damn, why is everybody so $hitty with each other on these forums?

"I want to rip you so hard"
"You have to earn my respect"

You're talking about a car, not curing cancer... stop taking yourselves so seriously and lighten up. We're all supposed to be friends here, but there is constant stand off-ish attitude, negativity, and a Mr. Know-it-All vibe on this board. Especially toward the new guys.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

telephone tuff guys on this forum or keyboard tuffguys i should say lol there always fun to read though.. I just dont get involved

Old 02-15-2008, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear

I think it's safe to say the reason he got zero responses to his question was his response to Meavens being less than cordial. I'm surprised anyone responded at all after that flame.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
4th Gear

It's quite obviously that amazing exhaust system you have Mac!
That rubbing is caused from the expanding gas shooting out of your downpipe too fast!

Have you taken a peak at the wheel bearings? *shrug*

Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM

You know I thought that but there is no play in the wheels or when they slide. If I get new exhaust I will let you know asap.

Quick Reply: Rubbing noise