Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Riddle me this... (and some news)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:17 PM
5th Gear
Default Riddle me this... (and some news)

How come I get a bad pull to the left after making a tight left turn, but my alignment goes back to 'normal' by making a tight right turn. Been going on since the accident, took the car back to the alignment shop 2 weeks after my initial alignment when my brand new tires were scrubbed bald, they rechecked the car. I had .5" of toe on both fronts. They blamed my caster/camber kit, but that was the only thing off, and what are the chances that both tires 'slip' to the same measurement? (thats a shop screwup if you ask me). Car made it home driving straight, but first time I made a U turn in front of the garage, it went to hell.

I cannot find anything loose or bent. Trying to find an alignment shop that'll let me just screw around after hrs or something. Figured I do a tight right hand circle to make everything act normal, check the alignment, then do some tight left hand circles, and recheck to try to see exactly what could be moving.

Related or not, I started getting a 'hum' from the front end about a week ago, which has got worse over the week. Got a chance to get under the car today, and it looks like I have a CV that's a little clicky-clicky when you yank on it. Boot looks ok, but the joint has some play in it.

Unrelated, I changed my haldex fluid today, right around the 20K mark, and the oil wasmuch dirtier thanI remember it ever being, with a bit of a heavier residue built up on the filter. Wondering if its due to the Blue controller. Assuming I'm hooking up the rears much more often that you would with the stock controller since it takes its direction from the TPS and torque readings instead of looking for slip.

Anyone else have an aftermarket controller and notice some pretty dirty haldex fluid?

[hr]

On to other news, I'm 99% sure I'll be accepting a position at www.rennline.com as a CNC waterjet operator in Winooski VT (just above Burlington). It puts me in touch with other gear heads (a few Audi/VW guys and some Scooby guys I've been friends with for some time live up there). Ryan and Tom met them at H2O. I get a chance to build parts for some pretty cool cars, prototype some §hit for the TT (REALLY nice set of pedals coming first, hopefully like this), do WHATEVER I want in the shop after hours, and go 10 minutes in any direction for some badass skiing in the winter.

Also for those who remember, my accident a few months ago was due to me falling asleep 5 minutes into an 8 minute drive. I had some recommendations to take some B vitamins, along with some other suggestions, but I still wanted to be dead sure it wasnt something more serious. I scheduled a sleep study at the hospital, had 15 wires attached to my head, 2 to my chest, and one on each leg, and was told to sleep comfortably for the night. I apparently did ok there, but when it came to the second half of the testing, consisting of a 15 minute nap every 2 hours thru the day, things got interesting. Out of I think 5 naps, 3 of them I went into REM sleep, which apparently you're only supposed to do at night, after you've been asleep for a while.

I'm now medicated on stimulants to keep me alert thru the day, and the difference is amazing. On the downside, I'm not supposed to drink when I'm on this stuff, (I do anyway, just not as much). I'm a cheap date now, 1-2 drinks feels like 5 before the drugs, so maybe its not so bad.

Anyway, thats whats been going on with me, and if you have any ideas on the steering issue, I'd love to hear them.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Riddle me this... (and some news)

Good luck with the suspension, and the meds, I am really happy to hear it hasnt gotten between you and beers I live in burlington vt, right up the road from winooski. If you want to grab a brew in the area some time, pm me, would like the chance to drool over your car before your "i never met a car i couldn't wreck" motto becomes true for that one too I just found out about dubsnorth forum for vermont, its a cool resource but not nearly as active as this forum. later

Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, so I already wrecked this one, that guardrail racked up $10,950 on the car I paid $10,450 for. But it is back together, and I'll hopefully be done wrecking it. And BTW, not too much to drool over, its mostly show and no go at this point, but you're welcome to look.

Couple drinks sounds good, I'll def. shoot you a PM when I'm up there.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds good, I havent done any "show" yet though the wheels need it bad, previous owner ruined them, and only a chip/dv as far as "go" goes, just trying to get caught up on maintenance...

Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
5th Gear

thats my big problem. Was making progress on the wear and tear stuff the P/O neglected, and then hit a guard rail adding a whole new list of **** (see above) to deal with.

What I have done: Swapped to a FK front grille because the bodyshop destroyed all the mounting tabs on the stock one, rims originally for the other car, since one of the originals were bent enough to break the bead anytime i crossed railroad tracks, and the FK rear diffuser because it was $25 and I couldn't pass it up.