Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

relationship between ABS and haldex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
1st Gear
Question relationship between ABS and haldex?

I have a 2001 225 Quattro that I run some autocross with. after a few events, I removed the abs fuse (number 5 if I remember correctly) to disable it for the event. Wow, what a different beast. I love the control it allows me when entering corners, trail braking results in mild oversteer on entry.

At the second event that I ran without the abs fuse I ran into an unexpected issue. While in a slalom I was watching my tac rev up and down a few thousand rpm without the car accelerating. This happened twice so I got off the throttle and finished my run.

I thought my clutch was slipping but this had not happened previously or since. There was no smell of burnt clutch so I don't think that was it. I was maxing out the front tires pretty well and getting a good amount of squeal. So my other theory is that my haldex was not engaging.
I highly doubt that I could spin my tires with it engaged. So my question is has anyone had similar experiences? Does the stock haldex require information form the abs to function correctly? Or is it all in my head and I can run with abs disabled w/o side effects?

I feel confident that I removed the abs fuse and not the haldex fuse because the brake light comes on on the dash...and I didn't have abs.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Buy a FWD.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
5th Gear

bah.

But yeah, haldex takes info from a ton of places, one of which is ABS. If you disable ABS, you disable Haldex. Its sad, I know. I'd rather not use ABS, its only there for idiots who panic brake so they don't skid into stuff.