Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Rear End Roaring after Track Event

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear End Roaring after Track Event

Hey Folks,

Back from the track with my TT and seem to have maybe developed a bit of a problem

In prep for the event all oils changed (engine, tranny, diff, & haldex) with the recommended Redline synthetic products. New set of Falken Azenis (performance road/track tire).

The course, mostly hard left handers (6), a few easy right handers (3). After a hard and hot 20-25 min session when coming down pit road at say 10mph I'd hear rear rattling noise - almost like exhaust rattle sway? Only could hear the rattle after being on the course. After a cool down, the rattle was barely noticeable.

Track event over, and back to street driving and I now hear a right rear roaring or whining noise under hard acceleration starting at 50, and up to 70-80+. Clutch in, off the throttle and the roaring noise diminishes.

So I swap the front and rear wheels/tires and get the same right rear wo wo wo noise. So that rules out a tire(s) issue.

With all the hard left handers on the track, load is placed on the right. Add hard accelerating at track out and the combination puts a beating on the right rear.

All sounds like factors contributing to right rear wheel bearing stress but am confused as to the rattle at the end of track session. Are they related?

Anyone been down this road before or thoughts about the what may be wrong with the car?

On a side note, it was a blast to pass Corvettes, BMWs, Nissan 350Z on the road course. This little, stock TT put some bigger muscle to shame .

Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

I wouldn't count out a wheel bearing starting to fail... maybe the rattle was unrelated... a piece of track debris bounced up somewhere?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

Thanks! The TT has 105K miles on it and the rear right does take a load beating on this track so wheel bearing does makes sense. My pampered Boxster S blew a right rear wheel bearing at 50K miles - go figure Hmmm - then again maybe the driver