Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

ragtop vs. hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:29 AM
1st Gear
Default ragtop vs. hardtop

i'm sure i'm gonna railed for this, but i'm looking into buying a used TT. i was told that there were some bugs in the cars until about 03 when the problems were finally resolved. any truth to that statement? (from a post i made on audizine.com)

next question, i saw the pictures of what bird crap does to a ragtop (stupid f*ckin birds) but i still wouldn't mind a droptop for the summer. problem is, in DC we still have winter so will the car be able to be driven in the winter if need be (i plan on keeping a beater, but you never know and sometimes its fun to drive in snow) without me freezing to death? and since i don't plan on doing anything too crazy mod-wise, will the extra weight of the convertible really make a huge deal?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Default RE: ragtop vs. hardtop

I live in Potomac, MD and have a Roadster. Top looks pretty bad right now but it was definitely neglected by the previous owners. I plan on fixing this ASAP with a little cleaner, conditioner and TLC.

As for freezing in the winter with a convertiblie.. not true. I dont know why people spread these lies. With heated seats and a very effeciecnt hvac system I don't think i felt one chill all winter. Actually even set at 70 it was still too warm.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Buy Convertible Top Cleaner. It's sold at an Wal-Mart or Auto Parts store. If you feel like spending money you can buy canvas conditioner from any boat supply store for abou $40 which make it look as good as new. Also for ragtops use a powerwasher it really helps.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM

thanks for the advice!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

You might want to give RAGGTOPP a try. I used it on the GF's Miata and the results were great.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

You might want to give RAGGTOPP a try. I used it on the GF's Miata and the results were great.
did it darken the top at all? i think i'm going to need a brush of some sort to work the nap back where its "smooshed down" at the wrinkle points.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

The Miata has a Vinyl top, so I'm not sure how the product works on fabric. But most of the "fading" is likely just deeply embedded dirt, road salt, bird crap, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: UMTerp_AK

next question, i saw the pictures of what bird crap does to a ragtop (stupid f*ckin birds) but i still wouldn't mind a droptop for the summer. problem is, in DC we still have winter so will the car be able to be driven in the winter if need be (i plan on keeping a beater, but you never know and sometimes its fun to drive in snow) without me freezing to death? and since i don't plan on doing anything too crazy mod-wise, will the extra weight of the convertible really make a huge deal?
To answer your question, they make a liner for the roadster top that helps keep noise down and make it a little warmer. Another thing to consider is how much stuff you need to take around with you. The trunk space on the roadster isn't huge. The coupe on the other hand can haul an amazing amount of stuff. There are 4 tires/wheels, jack, tools, 2-helmets and my overnight bag in the picture below.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

The coupe on the other hand can haul an amazing amount of stuff. There are 4 tires/wheels, jack, tools, 2-helmets and my overnight bag in the picture below.

You really can fit a lot in a "hatchback" cant you?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
3rd Gear

I spent a year in nothern North Dakota, I will tell you that the ragtop will be fine just pre-start your TT and let it warm up with the heater on, and the heated seats and you will be good to go mate!

Quick Reply: ragtop vs. hardtop