Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Pulling the Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
2nd Gear
Default Pulling the Tranny

I'm puling my tranny out next week. What fluid show I use to refill? Anything I should look at while its out?

Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
5th Gear

Im running Redline MT90 in the tranny and Redline 75W90 in the rear diff (if you're changing fluid in one, might as well do the other).

The key point is making sure you're using a fluid compatible with yellow metals. (our syncros are brass) Can't remember exactly if its a GL4 or 5 thats required for the trans, believe its GL5 thats correct for yellow metals.

If you use the redline oils I'm using, you'll be ok, I just mentioned the gl4/5 thing incase you go with a diff. brand.

For your personal benefit, I'd just make note of the debris in the old oil. I noted much more 'golden' streaks in the old oil (brass), and actually dug my finger around inside the drain hole a little and dug out some chips of brass as well. I haven't been inside any other brass sycro'd trannys to see if thats normal for a transmission with 140,000 miles on it. I may have noticed the brass more since the ferrous debris were stuck to the magnetic drain plug, but I can say that was a little hairy looking too.

What are you pulling the tranny for?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM
2nd Gear

Stage 2 clutch & 18lb flywheel. Rear diff? The haldex? That I have to do I gotta change out the filter. Needed to borrow that tool from becca. I just hit 50k & the water pump died, least that's what I think right now. I'm doing TB change & clutch next week. Hold long it take you to pull your tranny? I got two of my co workers helping me after hours. They owe me since I helped one with the piping on his evo mr & the other with his del sol.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
5th Gear

Never pulled the tranny. I swapped the rear end, and that took me about 2.5hrs start to finish, working by myself. Haldex and differential are different things back there, they don't share fluid. Takes about a qt of 75W90 for the diff, and the standard 1 tube of haldex oil for the haldex.

Good luck with the car, sounds like you'll be busy.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 PM
4th Gear

Tom I'll be in NY this coming weekend.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear

So when I pull the tranny I'm going to have to empty out the diff? Alright, I need to buy the parts asap, how many qt do I need for the tranny 4 & 1 qt for the diff right? I'm buying off of ECS all they got a Redline MT-90, MTL & 75W90.

Becca, if I can borrow your tool to get the filter out I would just parts the oil & filter then.

ECS is gonna be happy with me...

Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 AM
4th Gear

2.8 quarts for the trans according to Bently (MT-90)... I was freaking out for no reason. :-p
1 quart (75W90) for the rear diff.

I'll give you a call when I get to NY late Friday afternoon.
You most certainly can use the haldex filter tool.
Do you need the pump as well to get the fluid in?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

I can't do the haldex this week since ecs won't have the fluid for awhile, but I got a pump at the shop so I'm not worrying much just needed that tool.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
4th Gear

Why not call the local stealerships to see if they have any in stock?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
5th Gear

You don't HAVE to do the diff. When you pull the tranny, you'll want to drain it, and the bevelbox (2 drain plugs, one is magnetic). They share fluid though, so theres only one fill hole. BUT since you're going as far as replacing that fluid, I suggest replacing the fluid of the rear differential.

I'm not sure you're understanding me correctly.

Transmission and bevel box in the front of the car.
Differential on the rear axle.

Doesn't hurt to price the haldex fluid at the dealer, at least here, there isn't that much of a markup on it to make it worth spending money on shipping, etc.

This what you use for the haldex?

Thats what I use.

Quick Reply: Pulling the Tranny