Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

A ? for the pros here

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 AM
Default A ? for the pros here

Well I'm a noobie here my first post....... anyways

I own a 1.8 2001 TT with about 130,000+ miles on it. I got it for $10,000 Great deal UNTILLLL..........
My Clutch went out about two months ago so i replaced it along with the mass air filter.$1,600 NOT dealership
Then recently about a month ago the water pump went out and since the mechanic was going to take the engine out might as well replace the timing
belt "the whole kit". That was another $600 with labor. I live near the Mexican border cheap labor......

So..... I've been thinking of selling my baby. Is this thing to much of a hassel with this many miles on it?
I'm just asking what else do you think could go wrong with the car..??? Cause I have been reading the forums for a while now and I don't think I can handle another break down.

What do you think I should do... blasphemy i know but sell it????
Kinda hard to get audi parts and tools for the car since the only stealership is 400+ miles away so I order the parts on the net usually takes a while for the parts to get here which sucks cause I need a CARRR....

Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: A ? for the pros here

A 2001 with 130k miles on it?? And you bought it for 10 grand...
Wow I didn't know that was possible! But I guess if you're driving at least 400+ miles to the stealership it's possible...

Doesn't sound like that great of a deal either...
I bought my car for 17 but after taxes it came close to 20. But my car is a 2000 180T QC and only had 53k miles on it...

I'm not sure what else could go wrong, maybe the fellas could give you a hand on this one.
But if that was my car I'd give it a full tune up, change all the fluids and filters and any other maintenance.

Best of Luck!

Oh yeah and I wasn't aware you had to take the engine out to do the water pump. I thought you just needed the engine holder thing when doing the timing belt...

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 AM

Yah I changed the filters and all fluidssssssssssss....

I'm asking i guess will it last me another good 4 years with proper care.
I just don't want to speand more than another on repairs in the next four years $3,000

Old 12-31-2006, 01:28 PM
5th Gear

heheheh, well, at this point, it doesn't look like you have much else to break...

I'm a bit biased, I wouldnt sell my car until i didn't have a dime left to put into it, so my opinion is to hang onto it.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

you might want to worry about the turbo too, i say replace it, and go with a k04 or something. with that many miles i have heard the turbo will go bad, just my 2 cents. i say sell it an buy one with alot less miles.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: audistud13

you might want to worry about the turbo too, i say replace it, and go with a k04 or something. with that many miles i have heard the turbo will go bad, just my 2 cents. i say sell it an buy one with alot less miles.
With proper care, the turbos will last quite a long time. No sense in replacing it until it actually goes. You'll know when it happens, you will have zero boost and white smoke from the exhaust. Usually what happens to the K03 (180HP) and the K04 (225HP) is that the oil seals go and oil gets dumped into the turbo intake air side.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:09 PM

service history?? do you have any if not make it your priority and do the things that make you comfortable timing belt and tentoner for starters

Old 01-01-2007, 04:41 PM

You seem to be noticing a little "high&hard mile blues". These cars are quick and they get ridden pretty hard. These seem to be the things that wear because of hard miles and a heavy foot, but from what you listed as being repaired you should be close to done on your standard repairs. Since you picked yours up for so cheap you should expect some "repairs". I got mine for about the same price and I lucked out with only a cracked oil-pan ($100 fix), but I'm sure things will surface. My advice is to hang in there and enjoy the car, because you should be almost in the clear with repairs!

cheers!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM

keep the car, the only thing left to go wrong is the turbo. chances are though at 130k the last owner replaced it. make sure you are ordering and using the oem upgrade big oil filters. the regular stock filter has a sludging problem. do not use any type of aftermarket filter what so ever.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: rayveedub

keep the car, the only thing left to go wrong is the turbo. chances are though at 130k the last owner replaced it. make sure you are ordering and using the oem upgrade big oil filters. the regular stock filter has a sludging problem. do not use any type of aftermarket filter what so ever.
Wasn't the sludging problem in the longitudinal mounted 1.8T in the A4 and Passat where the oil pan capacity is smaller by a quart than the TT? The reason they recommended the larger filter was to increase the capacity to nearly 5 quarts as the TT has already.

Besides if you use a high quality full synthetic like Mobil 1, or Redline the chances for sludging is minimal.

Quick Reply: A ? for the pros here