Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Power Gasket or not?/ W/M talk

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default Power Gasket or not?/ W/M talk

Its finally warming up here in GA so its time to do a little work on my ride. I need to replace my thermostat and I also have new boost hoses to replace them all and I noticed that there are one or two hoses that go through my intake manifold. Thinking that it might be easier to replace the hoses by taking off the manifold i also wondered if it is worth the 60 doll hairs to get this Newsouth Power gasket from ECS?
Description:Made from a high performance polymer Power Gasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler.Power Gasket™ has been designed for affordability easy installation and no disruption to your manifold attachment and engine accessories. This means that you can simply swap your old intake manifold gasket for a Power Gasket. No buying longer bolts or installing multiple gaskets. In less than 2 hours you will be enjoying a more powerful better performing ride.NOTE: Does not fit Audi AEB Engines" http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Engine

Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Power Gasket or not?

Your intake wont get as hot from the head, but you wont see any noticable gains when driving it. Lucas did it so you can look up his old thread for impression. Also Steve xcelr8tt did it, but he did it with a bunch of other parts. If you dont mind spending the money, do it, but you would have an ice cold manifold with w/m also

Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah i'm going to wait till a certain somebody "hint" "hint" gets around to building some FMIC's before I go with the W/M.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

If you are going to do it, plan on spending a good part of the afternoon on it. You have to partially remove the alternator to access the support bracket to change it to the longer version needed with the spacer.

I would also recommend that you go with the Evoshield Brand there have been reports of problems with the other brands of spacers. I did it at the same time that I sent my manifold out to be Extrude Honed.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm make believe

Thats sand run through the manifold for those that dont know.

034 has some good quality ones for cheaper than Evo, also newsouth improved their quality and believe also give a nice warrenty now (not 100% on that).

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmm i'm suddenly straying away from this idea. I just figured if i had the manifold off to add a little somethin somethin.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

if you plan on keeping the stock K04 for a lil while you should really get the water meth first then the FMIC...either way the water/meth is very easy to swap nozzles if you ever decide to go BIG turbo and the 80degrees or so cooling you get from the water;meth vs around ambiet temps with the FMIC

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

I'd vote against those mainifold spacers.

They claim it keeps your intake manifold cooler, that means instead, you're trapping heat in your cylinder head. Is it a big deal? Probably not, its not a huge temp difference, but if I had to guess, you probably end up right back where you started in terms of EGT's. I'm no scientist though, maybe I'm wrong.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

Where would I spray the W/M with my stock SMIC's?
Nevermind where I spray, just read where. But I remember reading in the past that there is not any good places to put the tank. Where is everybody else going to install theirs?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
3rd Gear

use the stock windshield res its got a built in low level indicator and easier to wire and install...well depending on where u might wanna put a tank.

Quick Reply: Power Gasket or not?/ W/M talk