Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Is possible to survive snapped timing belt without damage??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is possible to survive snapped timing belt without damage??

yea, Idon't believe in miracles and I will find it out after compression tests.I just hope the damage wont be so huge due the very slow speed and even rpm and even not hearing any strange noise from engine...
well, I decided to change the timing belt and w. pump due to some later modification on my car. the whole kit should arrived tommorow, but as you see, I should have gotten it done 3 days sooner.... why... Lord why....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm make believe

Dont install that kit of drive your car! If it is salvageable, your going to make it worse by trying to drive it and after you just spent the time and money on a tb job

Old 10-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Curious - how many miles on the car? I have a timing belt kit sitting in my room here next to me and just rolled over 60k a cpl days ago, keep telling myself I need to get it put in already.....

Old 10-09-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear

dont jinx yourself!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 AM
3rd Gear

I have 47K on mine ordering my TB kit on the first of november.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:17 AM

the thing about valves is this. you may have slightly bent valves and not show it. basically they can be bent so little that the spring sucks then back against the seat to still form a seal. that will wear them in time due to the flexing back and forth. the pistons will be fine. the imprints of the valves wont do anything and should be minimal if it was low rpms. they will cause hot spots on the pistons though. i had a race motor that seized a camshaft due to a bad cam tower and the gear sheared the guide and spun freely. well that bent all the exhaust valves in some way. some slightly but some didnt show. but when we took it apart all my exhaust valves we bent . i would put in all new valves. they have decent ones on e-bay at about 15-20 each i think

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM
2nd Gear

Tell ya what... I dont know if it was the Timing belt, Water Pump, or just the old coolant... but replacing the timing belt last week... completely got rid of my cooling issue. Since I had it done... I can run my car VERY VERY VERY hard... and then go sit at idle and not go a degree over 96C.

Prior to the replacement... If I started my car and just let it sit... (without even driving it) it would warm up.. and then immediately go into overheat. idling for more than 10 minutes without moving in my car would throw it to the second notch past center on the temp gauge. Now I can run and run and run as hard as I want and sit forever without ever even jumping past center.

After the replacement of the TB and water pump etc... the audi tune shop showed me my old water pump... and it was in prfect shape. Hell.. i couldnt even tell the diff between it and the new one until I tapped the impellar with a nickel. It even LOOKEd like it was a metal impellar (it wasnt though)

I casually mentioned to the tuner guy about my coling problem when i dropped it off and they ran a coolant leak check and coolant system pressure test while it was in and all that was fine too. Only thing they found that wasnt perfect on my car... was the front right back control Arm bushing. It wasnt destroyed, but it had a small crack around it.

Either way... That shiznit solved the biggest and only real issue I've ever had with my car, COOLING. now im happier than Nate's old Avatar in ****.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: neur0tic

now im happier than Nate's old Avatar in ****.
oooohhh the piggys

Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM
SoCal Crew Member

^ bring back the flying piggies!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

I am a little over 85K miles, and as I said, new tb with wp was ready to be istalled. I will know at the end of the week how big the damage is [&o]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42142/36004DA6EE2A4D11846940CA91E7DB10.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42142/8AABBBEE161C45249DB95E4A3AF2593E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Is possible to survive snapped timing belt without damage??