Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Pondering k04-20 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Pondering k04-20 upgrade

I've also found a 3" downpipe that apparantly fits on the 180 from ATP turbo at a mildly priced $250.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some more extensive info on the k04-20? Like Total potential output, efficiency maps and such? ATP also has custom exhuast manifolds with a few different flange setups for larger Garret turbo's if it turns out thats a better option.

I want to start putting together a parts list of what I need to make my setup hit my power requirements. I think I can build a kit on par with the APR stage 3 for considerably less money if I piece it together myself.

I dont want to shortchange myself on the k04 if it wont make the power I'm looking for and I'm not spending $4500 on a turbo kit I could probably build for less then half that and maybe even exceed the output.

I've learned the 225 runs a dual catalyst setup to get a higher flow and clear the Quattro. Is it possible to go to a 225 Exhuast system with a catalyst delete(test pipes) and 225 Downpipe on the 180 or would I need the 225 exhuast manifold as well? I think the Throttle body and intake manifold orientation is different on the 225 from a 180 as well.

I guess basically I'm looking at converting the entire exhuast side of the engine to 225 spec with jacked up boost levels and custom charge piping (for the FMIC), and freeflow turbo-back. Along with required fueling mods, of course. Just trying to sort out speciffically what parts will have to be sourced and what is already in my car. Reading the VW forums only offers a little help since they have to go almost entirely to 225TT spec to get the k04-20's in. Would the 180 or 225 **** MAF housing be preferrable after the k04...

The lines between the 180 and 225 blur considerably I would imagine when you start mixing and matching parts. Its hard to find specific information and Audi part numbers with all this stuff.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:44 PM
3rd Gear

you gonna hook me up with some parts if you get the job??? pm me

Old 11-29-2006, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

I'm definitely a spread the wealth type of person. Looks like I'll be ordering considerable amounts of 225 parts as it is.

Hows the ride quality with the dogbone in the TT? I had one in that black car up there and it rattled the dash something fierce at idle. Also curious as to what you think about the drivability of that Spec setup. I used an ACT stage I and Spec Flywheel in my Hatch and it was great, but this is a different car.

Im full of questions, lol.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear

i love the questions keep em coming, yeah the dogbone is great if you only install the two C shaped mounts and not the center mount.( i was told not to install the center as it will make the ride more harsh, idk though) as for the clutch i did my own install( it was a bitch) and i did the stage 2+ and billet steel flywheel and so far they work GREAT. its a little scary during the break-in period but after that the sounds and vibration are not that noticeable and calm down a lot. the pedel feel only stiffed up a little (not as much as i thought it would) my buddy's supra MKIV rps clutch will break your foot! that thing is hard to push in. NOT a daily driver!!! but if you could get me the hook up with some parts that would help me out a lot as i'm a college student. and i kinda put the TT in a ditch on Thanksgiving (go figure) and i cracked my front bumper and the left inner side slit (behind the intercooler, infront of the wheel) so that sucks havnt gone to the dealer yet to see how much the parts are.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:16 AM
2nd Gear

Just wanted to post a couple of things I have learned from modding my 180. Even if you go to the K04-20 turbo and maybe 440cc injectors along with the tuning I know that you will need a FMIC. I installed a bigger turbo from ATP (GT2X, just slightly bigger the the K04-20)) and they said it was a straight swap no upgrades required except tuning and injectors. Well I almost melted my engine, blew my ignition coils. That one SMIC in the 180 is really really small. So even the K04 will require the FMIC. I used APR and it really helps, I was surprised when I felt the difference in how much the air is cooled coming out the FMIC. Also my boost is suppose to be about 19 - 20 for this new turbo (I think my waste gate is stuck open right now) but that is pushing some oil into the intake too. I would go with the K04 I dont think I like the GT2X and I might switch to the K04 in a few months and see if that stops the oil thing cuz I really think the new turbo is the cause of the oil.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

I had kinda planned on that. I'm hoping the SMIC with a fogger will be a sufficient stand in between the time I install the k04 or whetever turbo I settle on and the time I put together ANOTHER $1000 for a front mount. I need to go look up that $150 DIY front mount all the a4 guys talk about and see what they are doing to fight the heat.

How did you blow the coils? Excessive heat, I read they are tempramental even with the stock system?

What kind of power are you making with the ATP setup? Sounds like youre already running most of what I want to do. Any Dyno, or track time to get some solid info? Tested in the top end at all (120MPH+)? Any and all details are much appreciated.

Oh yeah, and how is the stock clutch holding up to all the added power? If it is indeed a stock clutch that is. I wouldn't think it would last very long, but I've been wrong before...

Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: MeanAudiA6

i love the questions keep em coming, yeah the dogbone is great if you only install the two C shaped mounts and not the center mount.( i was told not to install the center as it will make the ride more harsh, idk though) as for the clutch i did my own install( it was a bitch) and i did the stage 2+ and billet steel flywheel and so far they work GREAT. its a little scary during the break-in period but after that the sounds and vibration are not that noticeable and calm down a lot. the pedel feel only stiffed up a little (not as much as i thought it would) my buddy's supra MKIV rps clutch will break your foot! that thing is hard to push in. NOT a daily driver!!! but if you could get me the hook up with some parts that would help me out a lot as i'm a college student. and i kinda put the TT in a ditch on Thanksgiving (go figure) and i cracked my front bumper and the left inner side slit (behind the intercooler, infront of the wheel) so that sucks havnt gone to the dealer yet to see how much the parts are.
I think even with the discount after shipping, you might break even. A bumper cover isnt a cheap easy part to ship (unless your in FL already). If I do get the position I will sure as hell see what I can do for you though, you never know it may work out to be a bigger discount then it sounds like. I havent even figured out a way to SEE cost price on Audi parts yet so who knows.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Yea I burnt up the ignition coils cuz the intake air was so hot coming out of the turbo that it caused my car to throw about 10 different codes and ruined my ignition coils. Even with the K04 you will be heat soaking your small SMIC completely and will be losing power and possibly causing other problems in the engine. I dont beleive ATP when they say you can just swap the turbo and nothing else. Plus the FMIC being right in front and exposed directly to the air it really gets good airflow and keeps it real cool. With the K04 your are still looking at about 17 psi so things will get very hot.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Yeah man, I'm an Audi employee now! Would it be presumtuous to walk in with a parts list on the first day? "I need 3 of everything, and I need it today, Homes. C'mon white boys work fast right?"

Yeah I'm excited, working for Audi is a cool opporunity for a gearhead who owns an Audi.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

Well I was out wrenching today since my thermostat and coolant sensor are supposed to be here. While taking everything apart I stumbled on this odd piece:

Now its obvious to me one of its functions is to transfer intake charge from one Intercooler to the next on the 225. It also supports an oil cooler from what looks to be the turbo. My question is does it offer some structural purpose? 3 x 13mm bolts on the subframe on either side of the car. Its kinda heavy, but doesnt seem rigid enough to really do anything under any kind of load(being hollow and open). If I can drop 25lbs of useless metal then great, but if its gonna make the nose of the car flimsy I will put it back.

The other interesting thing: You guys werent kidding when you said small intercoolers. I built my Fogger rail to 6" x 8" thinking it would be small enough...WRONG.

Those endcaps are plastic, so that just wont work. Back to the shop on that. Good thing they are easy to make, and I have plenty of copper tube. The actual Core is only 7" x 7" so I'm going with a 6x6 square rail this time.

Quick Reply: Pondering k04-20 upgrade