Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Pondering k04-20 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 AM
1st Gear
Default Pondering k04-20 upgrade

Looks like my old beater/project hatchback civic is finally sold. Which means of course I can take care of the current overheating issue no problem and have some change in my pocket to play with. So its time to get the TT show on the road.

Theres a local shop that can flash my ECU with the GIAC program same day for $495, so it looks like that will be coming up soon. Which of course means I'm pretty excited (first real power MAKER). I also plan on an N75 Race valve, VTDA, ****, Boost Machine, Samco Turbo Inlet Hose and Borla Dual Outlet Cat-Back. Not that it will all be going on right away, but I like to know the direction I'm heading in ahead of time to get everything working together as smoothly/efficiently as possible. I did the boost gauge, and a Forge 007 right off the bat, and am working on getting an Intercooler fogger system running right now.

That leads me to the question at hand. Im looking into the K04 upgrade on down the line since it is a pretty cost effective move up. They seem to stay pretty consistent in the $800 range. My question is what fuel injectors will I need to be running to make this run safely?

I have found 36 Lb/Hr and 42 Lb/Hr good to 300 and 320whp respectively. The goal is to put the TT solidly into the mid-low 13's, nothing too crazy(its not a drag car anyhow). The FPR will be done well ahead of time (although im not sure if I want the simple 4bar or full adjustable yet) so thats of little concern. Im hoping I shouldnt need more then 18-20psi of boost on the k04 to hit my mark, and if I overshoot the goal, well so be it .

Also, why am I having so much trouble finding a Downpipe for the 180 Quattro? What is the interference that makes this the only model with no readily available downpipe options? Has anyone gotten one-off's fabricated for thier car and if so what are your opinions/experiences with this?

Im pretty much still in the research phase of getting where I want to be so I would prefer to find and work out any kinks in the plan ahead of time.

P.S. I know I didnt mention a FMIC anywhere, I wont worry about that until after the k04. Along with the ECS Stage III Clutch/Lightweight flywheel. Supension, wheels/tires are on the bill after shes going straight with proper haste.

A moment of silence for the departed:

Considering what I upgraded from you can imagine my enthusiasm.

Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Pondering k04-20 upgrade

At a minimum you'll need to go with the same size injectors as in the 225 and a 4 bar FPR. You'll also need a software upgrade, I believe both GIAC and APR have programs for a K04 in a 180.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 PM
5th Gear

And if you're going to use the boost machine, keep your current N75. It'll work better.

On with the mods!

Old 11-26-2006, 05:30 PM
4th Gear

Don't mean to hijack Denim's thread here, but since he mentioned the K04 turbo just last night I chatted with a guy who had a VW Jetta (can't remember which year) and he noticed my TT. He was an employee from another company as we worked a DUI check point last night - I run a towing company that caters to local police agencies.

When asking what mods I had, I explained I had just started and had only modified a couple of things. He began telling me what I should consider doing being that he had the same 1.8T engine in his Jetta. But when I mentioned the Hyperboost DV he told me the best option was with this DV/BOV hybrid that was 70% atmospheric. Curious as to why when everyone here claims a BOV is death to the 1.8T his reasoning was that the DV causes backspin on the turbo and stops spooling and that this hybrid doesn't mess with the MAF and such (my apologies, again we were working so this conversation got interrupted numerous times through out the night). Well that was an interesting point - I can't refute because I don't know... but we're going to sit down and discuss this further at a later date.

The other key mod (besides chipping) was the K04 turbo - he was going on about the shape of the fins and few other things that make the 04 a better choice and how it's a straight on fit for our engine... but what got me was his intial claims about his Jetta (which his ex-wife wrapped around a tree and killed it) was that it was pushing the 400 hp marker. This blew my mind and argued that the best most TT owners get out of a 180 1.8T is around 250 - without doing some outlandish mods.

Another was the larger intercooler with a CO2 freezer to give extra boost by supercooling the air - this he said was better that nitros and less damaging. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

Another was the exhaust system - but that's another story... he simply went to a good muffler shop and they bent him the 3" downpipes he needed. But again this is for a Jetta not a TT...

Well to make a long story short - we chatted for at least 4 hours - off and on - or I mostly listened as he went on about the mods he did to his 180 interjecting a few times with what I've been able to gleen from this forum and other places, was that there were several mods that were available that he feels even though they were on a Jetta should still work on the TT. My main argument was that I wasn't going to mod the engine to point of simply pouring fuel in to get more ponies so fuel economy was key to me - losing 1 or 2 mpg for 30+ hp I may consider - but not for a 5 or 10 hp gain. He assured me that he was getting better gas mileage and most his mods were all about gaining boost and how the 1.8 cylinder heads can take 20 lbs but not for long - the best was around 17 and the 03 turbo give at best 10 to 11 - again I may be wrong here... we chatted quite a bit and it was late and cold (43 degrees) last night.

But here's something - he claims he salvaged the hybrid DV/BOV and is willing to allow me to try it on my TT (the K04 turbo was toast and was the intercooler) - if I like it I'll buy it from him (he was looking to get another Jetta or maybe a Golf to use it on but his divorce has left him strapped - been there, done that 2x). So I'll give you guys an update on this and see where this new thinking leaves my TT.

And if this does pan out I'll definately be looking at the K04 - and some of the other mods - and keep you all posted.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

At a minimum you'll need to go with the same size injectors as in the 225 and a 4 bar FPR. You'll also need a software upgrade, I believe both GIAC and APR have programs for a K04 in a 180.
So what size does the 225 run? I think this still might not be good enough considering even the 225 still runs a k03, and the k04 outflows it substantially even at identicle boost levels. I might be off base but as much as I've gathered the 225 makes its extra power in the extra intercooler, larger MAF housing, more efficient exhuast system, and more aggressive ECU tuning along with a couple other details (such as a more efficient 6 speed gearbox) I'm sure.

I did mention that the FPR, and ECU tuning will be taken care of well in advance. I'm sure my ECU is destined to go through a couple reflashes as my project progresses. From the base performance GIAC, to the k04 program, then probably a full custom program when I get everything arranged how I want it.

On a more technical note, intercooler foggers do not increase boost. They make the intake charge more dense by hypercooling the charge. Boost level should remain unchanged, while the potential power yields increase. I dont think I could bring myself to actually inject nitrous into my precious 1.8T anyhow so this was a fair alternative. You can still make very significant power gains, and completely alleviate heatsoak in a multi-run environment.

I believe BTW its the headgasket that gives at 20+ PSI and not the head itself. I'm fairly certain a few companies produce metal headgaskets for the 1.8T specifically for this purpose. Im in no hurry to crack open my motor any time soon though.

Thanks for the tip on the n75 attchung! I might still pick up the race valve and just hold on to the H valve for when the BM is actually introduced to the project.

As far as 'backspin' on the turbo, what I think your talking about is compressor surge. This is common with a worn out or stuck DV and very bad for the turbo unit. A correctly functioning DV, even a stock one is there to specifically avoid this problem. Our DV's dump back into the intake plumbing pre-compression, while a BOV dumps to atmosphere. Where the extra charge goes is inconsequential, whats important is the compressor isnt trying to spool to a closed throttle plate between gears, which causes the surge. Our cars are built to incorporate the dumped charge back into the intake, along with most other stock turbo cars. The ECU striclty manages all our boost parameters, which is why a complex valve like the modshack BM is necessary as opposed to a simple vacuum controlled MBC. IF the ECU is expecting that dump, im in no position to blow it to atmosphere just because it sounds cool. The job a DV and BOV perform are identicle, the only difference is where the air goes. The key is that it opens fast and seals tight thats the difference between a performance valve and a stock unit.

Besides im not a fan of advertising what I've got under the hood. I prefer to hand out covert *** whippings that the beneficiary never sees coming. I may warn someone with an occasional nitrous purge, but more often you dont know whats going on until my taillights are fading to the horizon. In the case of the TT, I just want it to be as fast as it looks. Its pretty hard to find a streetcar and driver that can easily put a mid-low 13 second car to shame, barring of course top end sports cars and the occasional LS1 f-Body or foxbody 5.0 mustang.

I dont mind hijackers, Im always up to learn something new. Discuss away. Hell, I bought my TT because of what I know about the VW history with the 1.8T. I've seen enough 400hp monster GTI's to have enormous respect for this platform. To say most 180 owners never crack the 250 mark is probably dead on accurate considering most hobbyists only have a loose grasp on what they are doing, and never really get into the full swing of a performance project.

But I've built a near 300hp 2.2L cavalier(270 to be exact, while the stock rods failed @ 276. I pushed it right to the brink) before and I can guaruntee thats something you are not likely to see more then once or twice on the street in your lifetime. I expect it to be a much easier task, if not a bit more expensive, to get the TT to duplicate those numbers. Should be lightyears easier to get the power to the ground considering the AWD.

You have to admit, would you expect this car to walk away from you boys? Because it most likely would all the way to 106 when it slammed the factory GM speed limiter.

And I have far greater overall plans for the TT. That was just a toy. The Audi is a far superior car regardless of the power discrepancy. Im a 3rd generation gearhead, I love cars from all corners of the globe.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Some research turned up the 225 runs 380cc or 36lb injecotrs. Im fairly certain the 225 runs an identicle turbo to the 180 can anyone confirm this? I know its a k03 Housing I just need to know if the trim on both sides is the same or Audi used a different turbine assembly to get some of the extra power.

I would think the larger k04 at a raised boost level would require at least the 42lb set though. Probably with a fully adjustable FPR to get the mixture just right.

I have a job interview at a local Audi dealership tomorrow, does anyone know if Audi has a part number for the K0420? I think an employee discount from cost would get that well under $800?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: DenimTT

Some research turned up the 225 runs 380cc or 36lb injecotrs. Im fairly certain the 225 runs an identicle turbo to the 180 can anyone confirm this? I know its a k03 Housing I just need to know if the trim on both sides is the same or Audi used a different turbine assembly to get some of the extra power.

I would think the larger k04 at a raised boost level would require at least the 42lb set though. Probably with a fully adjustable FPR to get the mixture just right.

I have a job interview at a local Audi dealership tomorrow, does anyone know if Audi has a part number for the K0420? I think an employee discount from cost would get that well under $800?
The 225 uses a K04.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I found it. lol. More questions answer, more arisen. Might end up having to open the block anyways. If I have to do that, the bill goes up beacue Im not wasting time with anything less then lightweight forged internals.

What an expensive hobby. Oh well, at least it all doesnt have to be done at once.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Looks like I'm in line for a job in the sevice department at the Audi dealership up the street. !5% above cost on parts. Happy day.

Should make it alot easier to find answers to most of my questions.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Found a site called MJMTurbos.com that has a full line of OEM k04's and hybrid k04's if anyone is looking for anything specific.

They have one hybrid with a K06 compressor on it that is a direct bolt on would be an interesting upgrade.

Quick Reply: Pondering k04-20 upgrade