Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Pole: Timing Belt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Default Pole: Timing Belt Issue

I'm just curious. How many of you have taken in your TT for the free TB inspection at your dealer?(per the class action suit) AND how many of you have been told that you need a new belt? I took mine in just after purchasing it from an individual at 61,000 miles. And guess what? "Yes, Mr. new owner you do need a new belt!" What I'm wondering is, are they telling ANYONE that their belt is OK and should last to the manual's suggested change point? Sounds like the suit did more harm than good. All they have to do is tell everyone that they need a new belt and they have covered their A**s! So if it breaks its on us like so many of us are discovering.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:56 PM

I was told the same thing about mine with 45xxx on it. I agree seems like a good CYA technique to just make everyone replace them. If I replaced it, it would have been under warrenty until 80k and what I tried to ask the guy but I dont think he understood me was.. Its covered then til 80k when the next free inspection is, and if I take it in and they think it needs to be replaced, is that on them to fix or will they only fix it if it breaks and would I have to pay to have them replace it if I want it covered again til 120k. Cause that would be a complete scam. Most people on here have had them break at 80k and up. I will do mine somewhere around 70, if it breaks, ill have it rebuilt, my choice, my loss, but I wasnt paying the stealership for that bs

Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

at just under 50k, my 2003 was told it's belt was fine and will be covered til my next due inspection at 80,000k

that was this summer

also got my cluster replaced for free, all it had wrong was a few dead pixels when it was cold in the AM

Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

i still dont under stand the whole timing belt thing. Either way my car now has 92k on the ole odometer and i have no plans to change it until spring. I wish there was a way to see it it was done already or not. When i ran the carfax it had records or services up to like 70-80k and all was performed by audi. I wonder if my local dealer has a way to check that

Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM

I would guess the dealership would know. They should have a full service record based on your VIN. Not sure that they would give you a full list, but you could prolly ask them if the TB had been done.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Default Timing Belt Issue

I would appreciate it if someone would clarify this whole timing belt issue. I just bought a used 2004 TT with 50,000 miles on it. It is a "Certified Pre-Owned Audi" bought at the local Audi dealer and I am told that, in my case, my warranty covers me to July, 2011.
Scheduled maintenance calls for timing belt replacement (I have the 1.8 turbo) at 75,000 miles. Am I missing something here? If the belt breaks prior to 75,000 miles, am I covered by Audi, assuming scheduled maintenance has been followed?

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

I had the TB test done with ~20,000 miles on my belt and was told I was fine and covered until the next scheduled maintenance. I cannot speak of the other dealers, but the one in Rochester Hills MI gets high marks from me. I do not believe that particular dealer would tell anyone that they need to get a new belt just to cover their own a$$es.

If told that your belt needs replacing when you feel it should not be, I would ask to see the belt and why they believe it needs replacing.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM
2nd Gear

My tb passed inspection at internal autos in milwaukee. I don't see what everyone is bitching about. If your belt is old, just replace it.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jakej
My tb passed inspection at internal autos in milwaukee. I don't see what everyone is bitching about. If your belt is old, just replace it.
I think people are worried about the dealer doing what they do best and bending you over the service counter.

I'm sure there are a quite a few dealers that don't even test/inspect anything, just look at the mileage and tell you to replace it. I bet if you went in there with a brand new timing belt and 85k on the odometer and told them it was the original belt they would just tell you it needs to be replaced.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by WishIWasRWD
I think people are worried about the dealer doing what they do best and bending you over the service counter.

I'm sure there are a quite a few dealers that don't even test/inspect anything, just look at the mileage and tell you to replace it. I bet if you went in there with a brand new timing belt and 85k on the odometer and told them it was the original belt they would just tell you it needs to be replaced.
Well, I just picked up my TT from getting the airbag control module replaced and they automatically checked the timing belt for free. I'm at 72k and had the belt replaced at 62k and it passed. I saw the "bill" for the timing belt inspection and it was something like $125 or 1.25 hours. I didn't have to pay this bill, but they showed it to me.

Everyone whos t.b. were determined due to replace, are atleast somewhat old... falling under the 6 year/60k mile rule. This is the same amount of time/miles this forum suggests as well. So, if everyone on this forum says your t.b. is due and then audi checks it and says its due yet some people think their timing belt is fine? I don't get it?

From what I already heard is the "t.b. warranty" is useless anyway. If your water pump or rollers fail and the belt snaps because of that, your not covered. Regardless of the audi t.b. checking thing, change your belt at 6 years/60k or prepare for it to break.

Quick Reply: Pole: Timing Belt Issue