Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Please be safe guys even if its an open road know your limits

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Please be safe guys even if its an open road know your limits

doadea, my sentiments exactly in regards to purchasing cars for kids.

Don't plan on having kids myself, but if I were to, they'd probably get the same treatment I did. My first car was a '89 Ford Tempo that I was under about as much as I was in, followed by my first Audi, an 86 4000S, which I was under about as much as I was in.

First car was given to me, but only by the situation at the time, I had a senile great-aunt that really shouldn't have been on the road, and so the car was signed over to me. The Audi I bought and maintained myself. (Every car from age 16 I maintained and insured myself).

This taught me alot about cars, and the value of keeping them in decent shape (if you wanted to go anywhere in it), also started teaching me the value of a dollar.

IF/when I have a kid, you can be sure they'll go thru the same thing I did. Just seems smart.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
4th Gear

who would give an 18 year old an 08 m5?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear

Who would give (most) 18 year olds a sports car in general? They have high insurance rates for a reason. It's been proven over and over again, period. There are a extremely small group of kids that IMO can handle sports cars. For the younger guys debateing this.... have you ever driven recklessly, raced,or driven over 90mph? Have you ever crashed or came close to crashing? If so, you should not be driving your car and something safer(IMO).

Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

God, I thought this arguement was done with...? I said that I agree that giving an 18 year old an M5 is insane. I even apologized for ranting towards a person that I had perceived as being hostile, who in fact wasn't. Well I guess someone started this up again. Oh and also it's not "For the younger guys debateing this....", it's "For the younger guy debateing this....". I'm the only young guy debating this.

Have I ever driven recklessly? Probably. Have I ever raced? Only on the track (which isn't in itself racing: it is called High Performance Drivers Education for a reason: you don't go out to race, you go out to learn), but still I guess I will have to say yes to this because it is kind of racing against yourself to improve you skills. Have I ever driven over 90 miles per hour? Yes, both on the track and very rarely off the track (which I will admit inherently is reckless driving). Have I ever crashed? No. Have I ever almost crashed? Yes- twice. Once on the track when I was waiting for a "wave-by" from a Miata who then proceeded to spin out half-way through a corner so that half his car was on the grass and the other half was still on the track. He forced me to swerve radically and almost exit the track onto the grass when I saw him spin out, because of where he was located in the corner when he stopped and how close I had been behind him when he lost traction. The other near-miss was a little POS car that decided to run a red light going perpindicular to my direction and he ran right in front of me and almost clipped my front passenger side, and probably would have, had I not been aware that there was a fast moving car that I only saw in my peripheral vision and subsequently caused me to ABS the brakes. Now the question is have you? Just a guess, but I think you are probably going to say that you have done these things and then attempt to justify your actions by stating that you have more experience than me and therefore you are justified in doing so. Sorry, but no matter how old you are or how much experience you have, illegal is illegal, and you are equally as guilty as I am. Yes you have more experience than me (about 5 years more if I am correct, because you are not all that old either...what you're like all of 22? And by the way your insurance rate is comparable to mine if you look close- 22 versus 17. Not a lot of distance there, but I am sure your rate is still slightly lower than mine), and yes experience is a valid argument. I agree that the amount of experience that one has is irreplaceable, and I am actively doing everything I can to be the safest driver I can in my car and get the most experience that I can in my car by learning the limits of my car (hence the HPDEs). You asked " Who would give (most) 18 year olds a sports car in general?" If you had read either of my two rants (I think I specifically adress that in my second rant), you would know why my dad would give me a sports car because I think I laid it out pretty clearly and I don't feel like being redundant. But... because I am nice, I guess I will copy and paste it for you:

"The reason that my dad got me a 'performance car' is because my family actively races on a monthly basis, and a civic or corolla won't hold up under race conditions on a track. He has been racing his porsche for about 5 years now and when I had expressed interest in racing at the track in order to better my driving skills as a whole, he decided that he would allow me get a car that could hold up under track conditions. I understand that half of you are having a 's**t fit' over the fact that a teenager owns a car that is under the title "performance car," but there is more to the matter than simply that. You do not know my family, nor do you know me. I am pretty sure that my parents know me a little better than any of you, and they are better able to judge how responsible of a person I am, based on previous events in my life. They were also able to gauge my driving ability during the year of "permit driving" that is mandatory in Texas before getting a license at sixteen. Personally I do not think that it is your place to state that because a TT is considered a "performance car," it should under no circumstances be driven by anyone under the age of 'X.'"

Because I'm getting tired of defending myself over the same issue, I'm just going to ignore comments that seem repetitive and feel like I have already replied to, much like this latest assertion. Before you post something that is going to personally attack me or my family or their decision to buy me a TT, you can at least do me the courtesy of reading my past two "rants" to make sure that what you are about to say has not already been covered twice before. Please don't make me type this junk up again unless you have a legitimate argument that I have not talked about.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 PM
2nd Gear

hell my best freind got a fucken porshe boxster s for his first car hes 18 no no tickets ok well one for going 2mph over it was bs anyways...it depends on the kid i guess...

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

I think I'm going to agree with that statement because I think that might be the best "cease-fire" agreement that I will get in this arguement, not to mention I agree with it. I think that it predominately depends on the kid too.

What year boxster s did he get? My dad's track car is an '00 boxster s. He's about to make it not street legal and he just bought a trailor for it haha crazy

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM

mevans quit writing long winded responses. this isnt an essay test in advanced 12th grade english.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

its a 2000 its sikkk let me get a pic

Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 PM

and let me remind you that the argument "I have no tickets and no accidents" is a BS statement that means nothing when you've been driving for 400days.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear

Quick Reply: Please be safe guys even if its an open road know your limits