Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Paging CincyTT>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Paging CincyTT>>>>

Hey Cincy, Am I safe running an APR intake manifold on my 225 with an APR 3+ turbo kit with stock internals? THX

Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Paging CincyTT>>>>

My judgement says: you'll be fine. There's people running 2871R's on stock rods out there, and with APR's conservative programming, I wouldn't be too worried about rod busting torque spikes.

So let's see what nate thinks...however if I remember correctly the APR intake manifold wasn't the best flowing or best value as far as intake manis go, so you might wanna check out other options. I can't find the link, but I'm pretty sure nate has it where somebody flowbenched a bunch of 1.8T manifolds.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm make believe

Yes and no. You can, but you would have to lower the boost down from 26psi to about 22-23psi to not break anything (make same power with less boost). From their website... "Applying the Intake Manifold to an APR Stage III or III+ will produce power levels in excess of the stock motor internals abilities and upgraded connecting rods are recommended.
Expected gains when applied to an APR Stage III or III+ are 40-50hp, 20-30ft-lbs and reduced turbo lag of approximately 100-200 rpm’s."

The increase in torque will more than likely bend/break a rod since they already push the turbo to 26psi on a stock block. Also take into account that they only make the manifold in a big port config. This means you have to a) port your head, b) swap in AEB, c) use a transition spacer from 034. The porting/swapping to a big port accounts fora good amountof the gains claimed.

The testing....

If you dont want to go through the extra work or go to a larger turbo, a RMR or 007 small port intake would be a good choice also. They both flow way more than the stock peice and dont require porting (doesnt mean a nice smoothing of the ports wouldnt help ) or swapping of heads, not to mention plenty for a gt28 based turbo. If you were running a gt30 turbo, abig port head would be a better choice.

So in other words, for the cost of the APR manifold and extra work needed, you would see as good if not betterresults by going with a RMR small port manifold and scat rods. You would just have to pay for the install of the rods if you need someone to do it. Not to mention you will be far safer going this route and ready for something like w/m inj and push the gt2871rturbo to its limits.

Cliff's notes
RMR small port Manifold $700
scat rods $350
then w/m

Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

I was gonna make fun of your slow response time to this, but you have a chart. You are safe for now.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm make believe

took a little bit of time to hit 2 other websites and type a reasonable response. Not to mention my poor spelling, i have to proof read a huge post like that 2x

Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Great Feed-back as always Cincy! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the rods. I plan on keeping my car for a long time.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Good thinking. I think that when modding are cars to push extreme HP and TQ there's no reason to skimp on internals. Even though you can tune your car right without the use of stronger rods, what does it hurt to buy them.

If your already modding you 1.8 to push out extreme power then you should spend the extra cash just for piece of mind

Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Bigrigatoni

Great Feed-back as always Cincy! I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the rods. I plan on keeping my car for a long time.
Thanks. THat sounds like the best course of action. Also if you dont mind spending a little more money, a AEB head and big port manifold would yeild more gains. If not, a small port 007 or RMR will still give a sizable increase in overall power. You dont get the volume, but you keep the velocity up, so its kind of a trade off.