Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Overheating

Can someone say $5 intercooler fogger. Couple of brass fittings and some zip ties and Im good to go.

Sure as hell beats paying $150 for a pre-fab rail. I already had a Full wet nitrous kit, so I just borrowed the bottle, feed line, and purge valve with one shielded switch and one momentary switch. Too nervous to actually spray the Audi, and this should still buy me considerable HP. Doesn't have to be pretty, it will be tucked up inside the bumper.

If I could find an aftermarket steering wheel hub I could put the controls on the steering wheel. I still have a pretty nice leather/alacantra Sparco wheel with the Dual horn button kit. That would definitely beat paying almost $700 for the European TT Sport wheel.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 AM
3rd Gear

i've been thinkin about the fogger systems as well. how much is the rail, bottle, purger, etc?? do u have a front mount intercooler? you have the 225? or 180?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

im envious of that sparco wheel. i'm trying to work out a deal on some sparco stuff, but i doubt i'll be buying a wheel. (more like gloves and a shoes) The best part is, I'll be buying my stuff out of a warehouse in Turkey. While I'm not actually going to Turkey (this year) I have a connection there. I think thats even cooler than the deals I might possibly get.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

If you dont have any of the components, just go ahead and get yourself an NX Ntercooler or Cryo2 kit. Its probably more cost effective then buying it in pieces. I already had a Nitrous kit, but I dont want to spray the Audi. The price for the fogger rail is rediculous if you buy it alone.

I'm still on the stock single side mount that comes on the 180. I probably wont go to a FMIC until I go to the K04. I'm hoping the single side mount with a fogger will beat the efficiency of a dual side mount 225 system which I briefly considered upgrading to.

Just need the hub to make the Audi the 3rd installation for my favorite steering wheel. Its been in both the other cars in my sig. Along with the nitrous kit, lol.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:04 PM
5th Gear

Its a nice looking wheel.

I've considered doing something with the wheel, but decided not to try to do anything until I get a 5 point. If i'm giving up an airbag, I wan't something to keep me away from that steering column if something should happen. I probably won't get a 5 point until I build a race seat. Welding up some aluminum is easy, finding something to pad it with is a little harder (for me anyway).

Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

You can get High density foam at most fabric stores, or worst case order it online. 2" medium density probably wouldnt be torturous to sit on either. Just some suggestions.

Heres the rail put together:

Total cost was under $10, then again all I had to buy was the brass fittings, the rest was all laying around. I put a coat of paint on it to slow down the corrosion on the copper(pre-fabs use aluminum 1/2" I think) but I doubt the turbo system will stay stock long enough for it to be a huge issue.

If youre handy with tools at all this is a pretty straight foward project. It would be pretty easy to convert an NX purge kit into an IC fogger, then all you would need is a bottle (w/ assosiated hardware) and a feed line.

I ordered My T-Stat, Housing and 4-Pin Coolant sensor today. Got my fingers crossed that it will fix the situation. At least I can gain some power while doing the repairs.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:20 AM
5th Gear

good luck with the fix.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Do I actually have to take off the friggin Intake manifolod to get to the thermostat? I thought it might be easier from under the car, but I cant even see the housing from underneath. Im violently fighting the urge to do what I did to my honda and take OFF all the power steering, A/C and all the other garbage thats in the way, adding weight and eating horsepower.

So much stuff jammed into such limited space.

If I do have to remove the Intake manifold what do I do about all those factory S-Clamps on the hoses? Some of them will have to come lose to get it out of the way, but they arent re-usable. Or is there a path Im not seeing from under the car. I have the whole wheelwell liner off the passenger side, the lateral charge pipe out from underneath. Not used to a thermostat being such a project...

Whats gotta go to clear the path?

Old 12-09-2006, 12:49 AM
1st Gear

Turns out after I got the thermostat out I stuck my finger in the block and the water pump impeller is frespinning on the shaft. So that solves that mystery. At least all the blades are still attached.

Im ordering the ECS kit and having one of the Techs at work do it for $300 cash. So a waterpump/timing belt job for $550, I can live with that. Working at an Audi dealership has its perks. Got a ride home in an S4 Avant tonight from one of the guys in the parts department. That was a sick ride.

Tried to get the $125,000 W12 A8 as a loaner, but they were having none of that, lol.

Roadtesting TT's all day after service makes me yearn to get mine back in action. Too many Automatics and FWD's...its just depressing. They snap the tires loose entirely too easily.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
3rd Gear

what kit you getting from ecstuing? i have one for sale packaged up and ready to go

Quick Reply: Overheating