Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

OT: What kind of tools to you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default OT: What kind of tools to you use?

Hello,

I'm looking to add to my tool collection and was wondering what you guys were using. I'm using bare bones at sockets, wrenches, rubbermaid tool box, ect. I'm most interested in adding an electric impact wrench and 42" rolling toolbox (looking at craftmen toolboxes due to prices). What kind of torque is *really* nessary with an impact? Oh yeah, my air compressor is a joke... 10 gal @ 1hp. hah

Old 11-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Default RE: OT: What kind of tools to you use?

i use mostly snap on. i avoid craftsman like the plague. assenmacher is important if your going to be working on audi's also. my air tools are mostly snap on also, got a few mac tools items in there though. also i really like ingersoll rand, i recently traded in my snap on impact for the ingersoll TNT gun, 1000 ft lbs of break torque, it really does the trick. honestly though ive been using my new snappy cordless impact for most stuff lately, i havent had to fire up the compressor in some time . you should also look at lisle tools and schley. they are smaller companies than make alot of nice stuff, alot of other tool manufactures (craftsman, mac, matco, etc..) just rebadge there stuff and try to sell it for more. really though, if you are going to be working on your own cars for a while spend the money and by quality stuff, there is a huge difference ( i havent stripped and bolt in a long time). and stay away from the craftsman box, go to costco and get the larger stainless steel one they have. its much nicer than anything craftsman makes.....then again mattel makes nicer tools than craftsman. btw i went to sears to get some of the junk craftsman i do have warrantied out and saw there new line of toolboxes, the professional series crap. biggest joke ever, why would i need a tool box to tell me temperature? and who would by a toolbox you have to plug in? gotta be for the ricer crowd, i think you can change the lights colors[8D]

Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 AM
2nd Gear

I use all snap-on. I have a snap-on truck that comes by every two weeks that'll get me whatever i need to order. They have the same lifetime no questions asked warranty as craftsman... without the bulk. Craftsman has recently bulked up all their tools to help them prevent needing to replace stuff under warranty. This is fine except who needs a 200lb set of combo wrenches? If they'd just increase the quality instead of the size of the tools... they'd save money without losing customers.

snap-on ftw

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM
2nd Gear

I use Mastercraft Pro... only hand tools, as I don't have an air compressor.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

From my current point of view....

Snap on is by far the best; however, my career is not an auto machanic... Iuse my tools maybe an hour a week at most. With this being said, IMO, I think it is betterfor me tobuy slightly lower cost tools and have a (slightly) wider selection of them (ie: genaric impact vs. snap on breaker bar). What brands of toolboxes would you suggest? Ideally, a 42" roller would be best, but I want to keep it under $700. I saw Northern tool had some options, but haven't seen one in person yet. I liked the idea of sears, because I could likely find a matching top box later on, if I needed it.

What is assenmacher?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

I use tools that are made in china, I don't know the brands but I usually buy cheap tools to compensate for mod money[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

I'm partial to Snap-On but of course my brother-in-law's employee discount helps build the bias

Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

my school has well over 100k in snap on tools... and i love them

Old 11-07-2007, 10:13 PM

assenmacher is a german company that makes alot of factory specialty tools. there really nice. and also if you use you tools 1 hour a week, that is 52 hours a year, in one 40 hour work week i will break 2 craftsman 10mm. also you will strip stuff out with craftsman. as far as budget toolsboxes go look to mountain as a choice. personally if i were in your situation i would go to costco and get the stainless steel box they have its pretty big.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

I work on cars as a sport/hobby.

I recently finished rebuilding/building an MR2 turbo that took 11 months to build..I worked on it about 3-4 hours every night 6 days a week.

Most of my tools are Craftsman- since there is a Sears close by, the tools are good quality for the cost, and they have the good warranty. A small percentage of my tools are the cheap tools from Harbor Freight..things I would use only a few times ever. I've had no problems where it would stop me from doing what I need.

I definately see why mechanics would use the high end stuff...but I just do this for fun and repair and don't think Snap On would be necessary..it'd be nice..but not needed.