Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

OMG I saw a 1.8T with a broken timing belt!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear
Default OMG I saw a 1.8T with a broken timing belt!

This girl who lives in my buddy's apartment building had the timing belt break on her A4 1.8T at only 64K, she was planning on changing it at 6her next oil changedue to my pressuringtoo. Lucklily though she bought an extended warranty and her car was certifiedand Audi is going to fix it for her. This is the earliest I have ever seen one break and its brutal. I peaked at the belt and it was just ripped to shreds. The tensioner roller broke and caused the whole belt to slip. She said the car just stopped instantly and she knew she was screwed. I knew it was bad when they broke but not this bad. Like, this motor just got its *** kicked. She said Audi told her it would be over $4000 to repair but she would not have to worry about it. Damn I'm sure glad I replaced mine at 77K. Yeah a 100K mile service interval is a damn joke, and not a funny one.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: OMG I saw a 1.8T with a broken timing belt!

Just wait till you get a look at the inside of the engine.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm make believe

might aswell set a small bomb off in each cylinder. less carnage.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear

No kidding, I'm so thankful for this forum or I would have never known to change mine. I bought mine as a kit with a water pump and metal impellar. My timing belt was changed previously - still looked new, so I was rather ticked off the previous owner failed to tell me. However the water pump impellar was busted and leaking everywhere, I was soon to be in serious trouble. Thank god I changed it when I did.

Im still suprised Audi isn't getting sued for this in a class action lawsuit, between the timing belt/water pump / Cluster I think they need to re-think they're customer relations.

My cluster still ****'s me off. - No way is it worth $1000 for a cluster that is failing for over 50% of its owners.

Bummer.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear

Wow that sucks for her, yes you should look at the valves when the timing belt breaks it dosent look good at all...

Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

I hope I do get a chance to look at the cylinder head once they get it off as the valves are completely stuck in the head. All, I really looked at was the belt because I immediately knewto look forthis from reading this forum. Actually I'm really thankful to you guys for spreading the word over the internet about this issue. THis is the first car I've owned with a timing belt. My 240SX and VR6 had chains. I would probably not have known to change it until the recommend service interval which is way past the time it should be replaced and even though I have a warranty from Carmax they told me that even if the timing belt broke long before the recommended service interval they would not fix it because it is the owners responsibility. Also, since you can't really (to my knowledge at least) inspect the tensioners you can't really tell when their gonna go out if the belt looks good.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Actually there has been a lawsuit. This lady took her Audi in to be serviced by the dealer and they told her nothing about having to replace it and went out within days. She only found out about the problem from a technician at a body shop. Here is the link:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ine_of_change/

Old 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm make believe

tell her its a good time to swap in a big port AEB head unless she already has a pre 2000 a4. I bet she needs a whole new head, pistons w/ rings and her cylinders honed.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

I bet that costs some $$$...

Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Rolling past 40k miles now - Haldex change out scheduled - doing the TB kit around 55k [&:]

Yeah, BIG help hearing these stories - HUGE money saver

Quick Reply: OMG I saw a 1.8T with a broken timing belt!