Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

oil pressure warning light --instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Default oil pressure warning light --instrument cluster?

I have a 2001 Audi TT Quattro 225HP Roadster. Along with the fact that I'm pretty certain my instrument cluster is going (sayingI have more gas than I really do and apparently my car is always 'cold'), can a faulty instrument cluster cause the low oil pressure warning light to come on? Here's the situation:

I've taken it to three different Audi dealers. All have checked my oil pressure and it's fine. One said it might be a faulty sensor. One said they would need to take it apart (i.e $$$) to find out if it's the sending unit, only after first telling me it was due to a low idle.And the last one said he thinks it's tied in to the instrument cluster panel failing.

The ONLY time my oil pressure light comes on is when I'm coming to a stop or slow down from a gear and put it in neutral. With a little added gas, the light goes away. I'm about to sell my Audi (and the cluster panel hasn't been a huge problem so far), so I would prefer not to fix the cluster panel if that won't solve the oil problem. Has anyone heard of this or have any ideas for me?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: oil pressure warning light --instrument cluster?

I am not for certain but it most likely is a faulty sensor. aka sending unit That is if its coming on for no reason. The only other thing it could be is the cluster...like i said if its coming on for no reason...If it was my vehicle id start with replacing the oil pressure sending unit and see if that corrected the problem if it doesnn't then its most likely a faulty cluster. But it could be coming on because you truly have low pressure when was the lsat time you changed your oil?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM

I change it frequently. I had them change it last time I took it in to get inspected (a month ago?) Is the oil pressure sending unit going to be expensive? Why would that ONLY be at low speeds? I'm kind of in a time crunch because I get to borrow my mom's car --and she's in another state!--for a week before I have to give it back. Then, I'll be hitchhiking to get it fixed. Any advice at all is appreciated.....

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear

Id change the oil again and filter see what that does then id replace the sending unit i am not sure how much they are ecs tuning or mjmautohauz might carry them but i do not know for certain

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Anyone else have an idea?