Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Odd noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Default Odd noise

I just got my 01 TTqc and it sometimes makes an odd sound when making slow turns. It is a groaning sound that sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. Nothing is rubbing that I can see. Also, when I bought the car, fuse #31 (haldex clutch) was missing and I replaced it with a 25A fuse. Thats when I started noticing the noise. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if something is about to break. Thanks guys

Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

maybe your haldex is done, that's why the fuse was not there anymore.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hotgrass
maybe your haldex is done, that's why the fuse was not there anymore.
thats what i would guess... The original owner (or even dealership) prob pulled it to stop the noise. Thats kinda bs imo...

how long ago did you buy it and was it private party or dealer? If you bought it from a dealer take it back ASAP and have them look at it because that is kind of ridiculous. If you bought it private party contact the seller and see what the deal is.

if it is the haldex or the clutch pack thats not exactly a cheap fix...

Last edited by myslow1; 04-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear

^^ Eactly. That is BS. You tt likely runs fine in fwd, but once you "un-bypass" the awd, it makes noise. I would guess the haldex is messed up, and they are not cheep to fix, easily over $1000. The good news is that your car well run ok in fwd, just sucks that you bought it that way without knowing.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

my dad was actually just telling me about how he had a cv joint go bad on the only FWD car hes ever owned and he described exactly how you did. he said it made noise when taking turns at low speed. if i remember correctly he had a boot crack so all the grease ended up leaking out and he didnt know it, so then when he finally figured out a the boot was cracked he took it apart and found the whole cv joint had gone bad. sounds like a possibility my man

Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

Are tire sizes / wear all equal?

Hopefully thats what it is, a much cheaper fix than the haldex.

But, i'm betting on shady seller / haldex problems

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM

all the tires are worn the same. I bought it private party and flew over 700 miles to pick it up. Any advice on what to do? Are the rear diffs rebuildable or am I looking at a new one all together.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:04 AM

I got into contact with the guy I bought it from and he swears he didn't know anything about it. He asked what parts are bad and said he will check with a friend about getting them. What all is involved in fixing a bad Haldex? Has anyone ever just replaced the clutches in it or is it pretty much just buy a new differential. What kind of costs am I looking at? Hopefully he will cover it. If not I'm pretty much screwed and stuck with a broken car.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:00 AM
4th Gear

The problem is not just the parts but setting it up correctly. This takes time and skill. Not cheap.

The seller knew.. he had too. Nothing you can do about it though.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 AM

So pretty much a dealership (about 100 miles away for me) is the only place to trust to fix it.

Quick Reply: Odd noise