Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New Turbo kit plz.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

The kinetics kit WILL work for the 225...the reason they say it technically doesn't is due to the DP flange...If someone with a 225 wanted to go with a kinetics setup they could easily get a 180Q DP and it will bolt right up...I have a kinetics 50 trim as well and it seems to be a quality turbo (I believe mine is different than the rotomaster that comes with the kit though) Clay (rippinralf) is a good guy to deal with as is Adam (Adam@unitronics.ca) between the two guys you can get everything you need to get up and running. I picked up the turbo for $450 when Kinetics was running a special and an ATP clone mani for 100 bux from treadstone, custom DP that bolts to my 42DD DP done at a welding shop near me for $125 and custom 3" catback for around $250, Tial 38mm wastegate $225. Adam hooked me up with the Walbro fuel pump for $125, Siemens injectors for $225, Scat rods for $335, inlet was overpriced from ATP at $200. So there are ways to do things cheap but my setup at the end of the day still ran me 6k cause I went overboard with W/M, AEB head, and a few other expensive goodies. Had I not bought it in pieces I easily would have been in the 8-9k range though.

As for the second post in this thread where the guy says to get a 4 or 5 bar FPR he is wrong. The BT files for 630cc injectors are made for the stock 3bar.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm make believe

the turbo you have is a rotomaster. Plus it would be cheaper the just have a 3" dp made instead of shelling out $300 for the o2 pipe and another $400 for a 180q dp.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear

Agreed. My real point was the fact the kit does work with the 225 just takes a little work to get there and the reason I didn't go that route is the reason you stated. Some people have the impression it's much more different a setup than it really is...IMO the mani and O2 are very cool but WAAAAAAAY over priced. I forget the actual price of the O2 but I am 100% positive it can be custom made for a fraction of the price...As for the brand of turbo, you may be correct I am not sure, just thought it was possible they are different because they look different from the pics in Clay's thread and how mine looks.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm make believe

The o2 sectionn is ~$300 which could get you a whole dp custom made. I agree i like the manifold, mainly because i rather install a top mount and cast manifold over a bottom mount cast or high priced tube manifold from F-R or FFE. Also i think i may be going with a Holset HE51 or HE35x or even a HE35/40 since they can be had for $300 and rebuilt if needed for another $70. A HE35 can then be upgraded later to a HE35/40 for another $250 and produce well over 600whp and spool as fast as a gt35r

Old 09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Do you know what fueling you will need for that turbo and which file? Also do you know how much UNI charges for software upgrades? Just curious...I assume 1000cc? I know eventually I will get sick of my 50 trim and now that I am over the big part of the spending hump upgrading shouldn't be too bad. I have been reading/looking at a few compression maps from the Holsets and they seem to look good, just haven't seen much more than speculation of how they will perform on the 1.8T.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm make believe

I will probably go with either the 870cc uni file or the 1000cc tapp file. The 630cc files will be enough for pump and maybe meth since they will be good up to 500whp. Think you will just have to pay for labor if they charge it since you have already paid for the file. Send Adam a pm if you want exact prices on that.

Not sure if you say the thread in the 1.8t section where mainstay did a bunch of maps for people or not. The HX35 should make 20psi by ~4k on my car where the HE51 will be just a bit later and make more power and the same for the HX35/40. The only thing is i can only find the HE51 with a 90* bend in the compressor outlet which wont be a big deal if i use a top mount manifold like the kinetic. The nicest thing about the Holsets are that they are rebuildable for cheap and have HUGE pressure ratios so running 30+ psi on a HE/HX shouldnt be a problem with the correct turbine housing

Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if those are the maps I saw or not but I will take a look...Do you know what flanges those come with? e.g. t3, t25, four bolt, five bolt??? Like I said I have been hearing more and more about these turbos but not really a lot of specifics...another question, I know you're boared to 2.0 how does that compare to the 1.8 when building boost? for instance did you notice any difference in where you hit full boost before and afterwards? Also maybe you could PM me about specifics on parts list and cost for that as well. TIA

Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm make believe

They use a T3 flange. The 2.0 should reduce lag by about 400rpms with the same c/r. I cant really tell you about diff in spool on a ko3 since its basically insta spool. All of my build up along with prices are on here in the thread "cincytt version 2.0....T. You can also look at qedpower for prices and just figure in $200-300 for a AEG crank if you dont want a FSI crank that goes for $800

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

WOW, I just read the entire 22 pages of that thread and now I don't feel so bad about my BT project taking me 2 months...you had just about every delay imaginable. Think I'll just stick with my 1.8 for now.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mininger
I would go with the APR GT28RS kit personally. Oh and you will also have to flash your ECU and good idea to get a FPR 4 or 5 bar. You will also need to go with an exhaust setup, stock will just restrict the flow so your not getting the full potential from the turbo application.
If you want your bolts to back out on your exhaust manifold every 2 months then the ATP kit is what you want.

Originally Posted by Mobius97
Learn something new everyday. Will this kit work on the 225? If so and after seeing some dynos I might just pick this kit up today, wife gave the thumbs up on the price. Would I need to upgrade my injectors as well or does the kit use the stockers?

The kit will bolt up to a TT225HP except for the 02 pipe, I have a few clients running the basic hardware on a TT225HP although he upgraded to a GT35R, it is very fast. However, he did build his motor, I would imagine he's putting down somwhere near 450AWHP.

If you want to upgrade your TT you will require new fuel injectors and a fuel pump, common injectors used are siemens 630cc.

The thing about the 02 pipe is that you get to keep your 02 sensors where they are, theres no messing around with their placement. Half the time on the ATP kits the 02 sensors hit the body and obviously that is not optimal. Also this setup gives you the ability to upgrade turbos down the line with ease, and it gives you better control with the TiAL external wastegate.

Furthermore the ATP kits and others don't come with header wrap for the downpipes, heat shields for the turbo. CAI, and hardware that is actually built well.

btw: this is my audi:

If you guys have any questions feel free to drop me a line

Clay@ctsturbo.com

Quick Reply: New Turbo kit plz.. help!