Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New Member - 2nd of 2 dumb questions: Bluetooth upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default New Member - 2nd of 2 dumb questions: 2001 Roadster Bluetooth upgrade options

I'll try not to make this a 'yet another aftermarket head unit install' thread as I've seen those and read some of them.

I have a 2001 roadster with the 'standard' Bose system installed. I like the stock look of the unit and it performs well enough for me (I'm no audiophile). But I desperately want bluetooth calling and streaming functionality.

It seems that my options are the following:
1) replace the bose unit with an aftermarket bluetooth enabled head unit. Doing so, will in my opinion crush my 'stock' feel, but then I can hide the head unit with the aluminum cover (thank you Audi).

2) purchase an add-on 'universal blue tooth' unit (like the Parrot sold by Crutchfield, etc.)

3) use a blue tooth headset for calls (ok, but doesn't solve the streaming issue)

4) live life blue toothless

Questions:
For option 1) aftermarket head unit. I have seen the head unit faceplate bezels that fill in for the DIN unit size vs the Bose wide unit, but does that mean that a DIN unit will slide around inside the dashboard? In otherwords, when you pull out a Bose head unit, is the space left behind fully DIN proportioned or is it as wide as the faceplate of the Bose head unit? I am trying to figure out if I would have to come up with a method to keep an aftermarket head unit from sliding around with wedges or something?

For option 1) do the aftermarket wiring harnesses work well or are any mods necessary? Crutchfield isn't very clear on this issue.

For option 2) has anyone tried this type of install to get BT? If so, what did you use for cabling?

Thanks in advance for your help and/or suggestions,

Jon

Last edited by Valid8r; 03-26-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added year and model to title of thread
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to go with the Dension Gateway Pro BT Gateway Pro BT | Bluetooth handsfree all-in-one interface | USB music playback

This looks like the perfect solution to my problem and the reviews appear to be quite favorable.

Jon