Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New MAF bad already, CEL? P1136

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
1st Gear
Default New MAF bad already, CEL? P1136

I replaced my bad maf with one new one from ebay.....first mistake probably. So everything was fine for 2 months or so, no cel, then all of a sudden it came back. I have been ignoring it for a while now. It used to come on, and after 3 or four drives go away. Now, if i clear it in the morning it is back by dinner, and it is there to stay. Checked for vac leaks and cant see any. Cleared the engine code and disconnected the maf plug, it ran like a dream and even held a steady idle. Hooked it back up and the rmps jumped from 500-100 for a good minute. Also, when it is hooked up, it shakes a bit at stop lights, but no major flux in rmps. Did not do that when it was disconnected, idled awesome. Just wanted a second opinion before I head to the stealership.....just wanted to know if it is likely that the maf went bad after about 500 miles.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Default RE: New MAF bad already, CEL? P1136

Ebay is most likely the problem. Might not have been a new MAF. It could also just be dirty. Have you tried cleaning it?

Dont buy from the stealership.. go to ECSTuning or find cincy's post where you can buy just the MAF Element for $90.. the housing doesn't go bad.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

It was new, from an ebay store in connecticut. It is as clean as the day i put it in. My inspection expires this month, so I dont know if I will have time to order it online and get it all ready. The code comes back so fast I dont think I can even get through the inspection....If I didnt get so much *** with this car it would be in the quarry by now.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:54 PM

I can clean my old non-functioning, cel-throwing MAF, start an EBAY store, and sell it to you if you'd like.

And clean the element. Do you have an oiled air filter? That could muck up the element and cause it not to read correctly.

TRY CLEANING IT with MAF cleaner. You might be able to hold off the CEL long enough to get through an inspection.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Is there a way to check them with a volt meter?

Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Is it possible to clear the CEL, unplug the MAF, and then get the inspection? Would the ESP indicator light be enough to fail an inspection. I mean the cars to have the ability to turn that off at will.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

MAF problems. Sounds familiar. I was getting a code an a refurbed core that was out of a 2.0 liter. I demanded the shop reorder the part so that I had the MAF that was listed by Audi specific for my car. Once hooked up my car run like crap, stuttering over 3000rpm. I've been running it with the MAF unplugged for two weeks waiting to get this new mechanic I'm talking to, to trouble shoot. Since my car has been APR chipped (at least six months) it has only run good for about a month. I wish I wrote down the code I was getting. Will have more to say on Saturday.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

Is it possible to clear the CEL, unplug the MAF, and then get the inspection? Would the ESP indicator light be enough to fail an inspection. I mean the cars to have the ability to turn that off at will.

Here in Colorado they actually tell you to turn off all traction control if your car is equiped as such.I imagine moststates that use dyno machines for emmission testing will be similar. However, places like Texas where they only do OBDII diagnostics with no load testing may be different.

Iam also wondering if he has a K&N style filter. I know that if you over oil them this can happen all the time. I have helped several people reclean theirs after they experience a "bad" MAF soon after a recent filter cleaning. If you do have a oiled filter, a good practice is after cleaning and oiling your filter blow it out with compressed air (I use nitrogen because I have a free source of it, but shop air will be just as good.)

Old 07-17-2007, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sound227

...It is as clean as the day i put it in....
Nice try vorais but you read the man. Its clean! So much for suggestions.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: diehlryan

ORIGINAL: sound227

...It is as clean as the day i put it in....
Nice try vorais but you read the man. Its clean! So much for suggestions.
Sigh.

Thanks man. I guess my reading comprehension skills have gone way down hill in the last few years. Read through the entire post and didn't catch that. Anyway, still curious what kind of emmisson testing they do in PA. I pulled this up from PA's government site, so he may be a little screwed if that is all they do because a lot of the time they want everythign active when they do this:
Emission Test Results
The following tests may be required for your vehicle:
County: Northampton
Year: 2001
Vehicle: Car
Tests: Onboard Diagnostics and Gas Cap Check
Note: Brand-new vehicles and vehicles driven under 5000 miles annually may qualify for an exemption sticker. Ask your service provider for more details.

Quick Reply: New MAF bad already, CEL? P1136