Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

New downpipe, new problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default New downpipe, new problem.

Ok, if any of you guys have been following my new mod (3" downpipe with testpipe) well then let me update you. I got the pipe installed this morning and everything went well... until i drove it for the first tiem. This is a horrible vibration that comes from the floor board when i am pulling out of first. cruising i dont notice any vibration or anything bad at all.. just getting started. I really notice it when I turn.. say pulling away from a stop sign turning left or right.

Do any of you have this problem?

This is bugging the crap out of me. I am supposed to be happy with new mods!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New downpipe, new problem.

did they have to remove a motor mount or maybe they didnt put everything back together?

Jeff

Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear

The TT has a cross member underneath right? Is this still there? I know that for the 42 DD dp they said that its alot easier to remove the old dp by taking this off, maybe they did that and didnt put it back on? I dunno

Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Is there a flexpipe section in the new parts? If not, that might explain the vibration when starting from a stop with the engine first torquing over during power application.

Turning left or right might be causing the new parts to vibrate against some part of the body during chassis flex.

One of the main obstacles to a downpipe on the TT with quattro is the extremely tight quarters in which the parts all have to fit.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm make believe

it sounds like you might be hitting the sound dampaning/ heat shield on the firewall. You may be hitting it at those times you here the vibration. You can take some pliers and hammer andmove theshield away from the path of the downpipe. Plus are you still cel light free?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 PM
3rd Gear

yeah check for that heat shield a lot of people had to cut that or pull it back so it didnt interfere. also ask them if they removed the drive(main) shaft in order to get the old DP out. if they didnt put it on the way it came off that could cause that vibration. If thats the case you would feel the vibration even at idle.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm make believe

he has a fwd car. you dont need to remove anything to get the downpipe out like in a quattro car.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Ok, took it back this afternoon and basically the problem was that where the downpipe connected to the stock exhaust... that linkage wasnt tight, so when the engine torqued it would bend at the weak linkage and cause the exhaust to hit the cross member.... made a cool noise but damn did it rumble my @ss! Anyway, its all settled now. They put the linkage back together tighter and its running great. MAN my turbo got so much louder... right now I am CEL free but i have only driver about 10 miles on it.. I have to go to school tomorrow so I will let you know if it holds up. I put one spark plug defouler in front of the o2 sensor.

Seems to be working well cincyTT!

Thanks for all the quick responses guys... I will keep you up to date on the CEL.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
3rd Gear

oh didnt look at his sig(lol)

Old 01-16-2007, 01:07 AM
3rd Gear

Yea me too

Quick Reply: New downpipe, new problem.