Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Negativity on K04-001

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:59 PM

i bought my kinetik modded k04-001 for $380 it was in great shape and now 15k miles later it still runs great. Power will be better than stock. I have my car modded and the best part is instant throttle response and enough power. Its no big turbo, but if you set it up right it will last. you could run it with no mods and you'll get a little more power then the k03 and the install is only a couple of hours. Bottom line is what you said. this cars are getting old and they break all the time. its a money pit and hardly worth a BT setup, especially when they arent even that fast. i could see if you had a supra or an mr2 or a m3 that is older as those cars had fast base number to start with. I'm not bashing the rides, i love mine and just got it painted but over the years ive been replacing all the aftermarket parts with oem to keep it running good.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by precision tt
iits a money pit and hardly worth a BT setup, especially when they arent even that fast..
coming from the guy that stick with a stock sized turbo. I have said it many times and ill say it again, no one actually run these cars like they should. People keep making these comments so much, others actually believe it. Its just funny all the vw's running 11-12sec passes with little to no weight removed and a gt28-gt30 sized turbo and are the least aerodynamic cars out there. There are several cars about to be finished with gt3076r, gt35r (me included), s362, and a MASSIVE Holset that barely fits behind the engine with vgt. We all will be making 10-11sec passes which is plenty fast. I dont plan on going ***** to the wall on my car since i dont want to swap the tranny and deal with fwd and 400-450whp daily on a 2.0 and stock head. If/when i move to a TTq or A4q ill put more money into it and be pleny fast

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 AM

fast is relative to what you do. i hope you arent comparing an audi tt to a golf or gti speed wise. the problem with our cars is that they break all the time. like most cars for that matter, but parts are a lot more expensive. Yes I did stick to a preetymuch stock setup an ran it well, but it wore through most of the car such as bushings suspension wheel bearings and axles. the list keeps going. These cars are money pits look at 90%of the posts on this forum. its all questions about fixing something. nobody is doubting you can get 400 whp.......... but for how long. maybe you should make a list of all the parts you'll break with a 2.0 stroker BT and see how far your money is from the pit. and if you build this amazing car and never push it then what was the point. brownie points???? as far as your times lets see some slips befor claiming 10 sec 1/4. Reality is that i hope you do get into the 10's with a TT, but i also want to see the overall cost to get there.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm make believe

fast is relative to what you do. Anything with over 300whp makes for a relative fast street car, anything that runs 12's and faster is a fast drag car.

i hope you arent comparing an audi tt to a golf or gti speed wise. Why? Same engine, same chassis, basically the same parts. They however only come in fwd and have horrible aerodynamics. Not to mention the weight of them is higher than a fwd TT by a good margin. The TT has an advantage in everyway, fwd or awd.

the problem with our cars is that they break all the time. like most cars for that matter, but parts are a lot more expensive. Since most people here are driving 7-10yr old cars w/ 70-150k miles on it. Failures are to be expected. If you think buying a turbo car with tons of moving parts and features wont take some maintence, you are diluted and should have bought a stock civic and left it that way

Yes I did stick to a preetymuch stock setup an ran it well, but it wore through most of the car such as bushings suspension wheel bearings and axles. the list keeps going. Again, you have an aging car, and those things are expected, same for any other car regaurdless of make, model, and power output. My sisters neon makes all of like 100hp, and i had to change all of those things on here car, they cost just as much as they would for the TT. And since most parts are interchangeable with the gti/jetta, cost really arent that bad. Its the rare items like awd dp's with no production and few supliers that have high costs.

These cars are money pits look at 90%of the posts on this forum. its all questions about fixing something. What the hell do you think forums are for? SIRIOUSLY?!?! 90% of the people here are willing to diganose the issues with their car and fix them. If they werent, they would just take it to the shop/dealer and pay someone to fix it.

nobody is doubting you can get 400 whp.......... but for how long. With good hardware (pag, cts, apr) and good tune (tapp or uni) its no problem and all you need to add into it is rods and a clutch to hold the power. Nothing else is really going to break unless you are trying to drop the clutch at every light.

maybe you should make a list of all the parts you'll break with a 2.0 stroker BT and see how far your money is from the pit. and if you build this amazing car and never push it then what was the point. brownie points???? I dont plan on breaking anything with my 35r. Its not really going to see much more than 400whp on a stock head and manifold daily. When im ready for more, ill either get another TT or an A4

as far as your times lets see some slips befor claiming 10 sec 1/4. Reality is that i hope you do get into the 10's with a TT, but i also want to see the overall cost to get there.

Since i probably wont buy slicks, i probably wont see anything more than high 11's on street tires and pump. But keep an eye out for:

GiacTT - gt3076r
exTTreme - 2.0 10:1 gt3076r
Adam @uni - 2.0 10:1 gt35r
themachasy - S362
2001TTransport - 2.2 gt3071r
Wolk's Wagon gt3076r
changer - Something in the T4 frame
TSTARKZ - 6262
CincyTT 2.0 10:1 gt35r

THose are just the ones off the top of my head. Everyone will be easily capabably of 11's to low 10's. Also notice im the only fwd of the bunch, im just crazy

Old 03-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Agreed with the point of repairs. but that is just my point. most people to do any and all BT swaps are working with aged cars. which define "money pits" What you are saying makes sense if you have a large income and dont care about upgrading everything, and not on daddy's dime. Bottom line is that if you swap out to a BT you will have to renew just about every part of your drivetrain....Money pit...... after you did all that expect to break or heavily wear half the oem parts you just replaced.....money pit..... again i would love to see any of your guys with really big turbos time slips. not just your signatures as they dont mean squat on any forums. with fwd slicks and a stripped interior you probably wont break 11.8 ..... i had a civic all motor that ran 12.6 a turbo hatch that ran 11.8 and a datsun 240z that ran 12.1 with a skyline swap. in theory it should have gone a lot faster but i could not get it to hook. Now since you are the only one on here that wont break any parts on your car with that much power. add up for us all of your costs to complete the project.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Main Entry: money pit1
Part of Speech: n
Definition: any entity or venture which requires much money for maintenance and drains financial resources

what is your return on investment once you are done replacing everything. and i got a good one, whats the difference between a fully loaded honda civic with 200K miles and an audi. the audi has already been parted out.

we have a bmw x5 2003. at 80k miles it needed 14k dollars worth of repairs. the job was done at the dealer and the car's value at the time was 18k. i didnt care as my GF loves the car and shes got plenty of money. but she was sad to find out that we could have sold it and bought a new one for just a little more money.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm make believe

You have noticed that the cost for a good shape TT now is between 10-14k right? Replacing parts that are worn or weak shouldnt be much of a problem for those that actually want to make power instead of shelling out $35k for a new evo or sti. You are still going to pay $20k for a good used sti or evo. If people are buying 5-10 year old cars and not expecting to replace parts like clutch, bushings, bearings, etc are just plain diluted and need kicked in the head.

When the tracks all open and projects come to completion, you will start to see the true enthusiest start to shine and make respectable numbers.

I dont plan on breaking stuff because im not going to push my current TT to the breaking point. There will be no dumping of the clutch or trying to rev to 8k all the time. Ill save that to when i move to another TT or A4 like said before.

My entire 35r setup as it stands now, will cost me ~$3k including a atc to awp ecu swap. Then a few months down the line ill need to drop another $400 on new clutch disc and pressure plate since i didnt have the extra $300 when my engine was built so i settled with a VR6 upgrade.

Sounds like you just need to move on and find a car that is newer and refrain from modding it in any way. Cause for many of us, a good running TT with $2-3k in maintence for a total of $12-15k in all is well worth the cost to have the car they always wanted. Then you those that are willing to drop a few more k into power, handling, wheels, whatever. Its a lifestyle, hobby, addiction, whatever.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Sounds like you just need to move on and find a car that is newer and refrain from modding it in any way. Cause for many of us, a good running TT with $2-3k in maintence for a total of $12-15k in all is well worth the cost to have the car they always wanted. Then you those that are willing to drop a few more k into power, handling, wheels, whatever. Its a lifestyle, hobby, addiction, whatever.

By no means....... I'm keeping my car, i have it running well and solid now, at a fairly high cost might i add due to the constant maintainance. I just had a full chassis paint job done, replace all the clips and random rotted rubber trims, i am good to go, just mostly a nice looking and sounding car that has just enought power to satisfy most. its my driving miss daisy car now just to cruise on the weekends. My r6 and cr500af take care of my daily commute and the x5 does the weekend trips. dont foget i've been around the tt for many years now, before most of you guys had them. i've already done all the aftermarket swaps aside from the BT. Its been fun but ended up with a k04-001. I was one of the first audi tts with the original ATP gt28r turbos that used an adapter plate and genuine garrett turbo.....

Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear
Default fastest tt

gottzila a 650 hp tt 11 second car.

what she sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ye3qNyCkw

her drifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_0H...eature=related

her at the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfTW...eature=related

enjoy this is one sick tt.
i am gonna stick with what i have. plus i dont have the money or the expertise to do this.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm make believe

point of your post...?