Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

need some help - i keep blowing up DP's

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM
1st Gear
Default need some help - i keep blowing up DP's

so, it turns out - my turbo to manifold gasket might be fine after all. Sadly the broken part is the new DP... In fact, I keep splitting my DP at the weld seam for the flange where it bolts to the turbo. I am not running any sort of crazy boost (15psi), so would anyone have any ideas?

I originally had a 2.75" DP on it, but the shop told me the reason the weld failed was due to it being too large so they custom fabbed a 2.5" for me using the stock flange. However, this one has also failed.

I can easily have the original blacktraxx 2.75" fixed and reinstalled, but I want to try and figure out why this is happening first of all.

Right now my car sounds super loud and runs like complete crap and I have a CEL. I am boosting so my turbo works (thank god), but it is super sluggish off the line. I thought it would sound like crap, but run fine since the turbo creates the backpressure?

Anyhow, I need this fixed and I'm not entirely sure I trust the shop any more. Any ideas or pearls of wisdom I can offer them?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: need some help - i keep blowing up DP's

if you have been taking it to the same shop then i think its time to take it to another

Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 AM

sounds like the shop doesn't know what they are doing!!! LOL

Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

well, it is covered under warranty by the shop as i've paid for it already. i saw the guy's weld work - he does a good job. He said the original DP failed because the original tech put in the wrong type of cat and it superheated the exhaust to the point where it fused the honeycombs together in the cat and ultimately, it failed so the exhaust had nowhere to go so it busted at the seam.

He also said my 2.75" DP was too large and that I needed to stick to a 2.5" or less (I'm not sure he understood the whole turbo backpressure thing because he mostly works on muscle cars). This is when he custom fabbed a 2.5" DP for me at the shop and I didn't really complain because either way it would be less restrictive than the stock setup. He also put in some type of "direct flow" cat, and informed me that the magnaflow that the previous guy installed was destroyed from heat.

i actually took the car to a performance exhaust shop, and i am fairly confident they do good work. I just have terrible luck with my car... nobody knows how to work on a damn audi around here, and our local dealership has terrible service (according to all of my friends).

I just need some suggestions at this point because I want it fixed correctly and do not want to be paying out of pocket. Still.. why would a DP just explode at the flange seam. that doesnt sound normal.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
SoCal Crew Member

^ mmm blacktrax DP's. been awhile since ive heard of them

Old 04-22-2008, 11:16 AM

you prolly need engine mounts.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

x2

At least the dogbone bushings.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm make believe

Was going to say the same as the above. Reason is your engine is moving to much and is stressing the welds. Get the 2.75" fixed and reinstalled with some new street density engine and dogbonemounts form 034motorsport.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Well, it is a 1 piece exhaust at this point, as he did not install any other flanges. The guy at the shop is 100% not comfortable installing the 2.75" Blacktraxx DP because it was so tight in there, which is why he custom fabbed a new 2.5" DP for me (which was destroyed all along his welds.) I am taking the car to the shop today and I'll see what they are willing to do to correct the situation. At this point, I just need it back to driving condition as it is my daily driver.

I have the poly dogbone bushings, but I am still confused as to whether or not I need a jack under there to brace the engine when i pull the mount off. I've read that i do and i've read that i dont...

From there, I can get the street pass/driver mounts, right?

Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm make believe

For the dogbone you dont need to do anything under the engine. Just unbolt and remove. The shop is over concerned and they need to fix them both and you should sell the 2.5" dp and install the 2.75". I would then put a jack under the engine and check the engine and tranny mount and replace those also.

Quick Reply: need some help - i keep blowing up DP's